Adjusting timing after removing unichip

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

2%Tiger

Adjusting timing after removing unichip

Post by 2%Tiger »

Hi all
The unichip is out and the stock ecu now rewired. If my memory serves me right the timing is out by 10degrees, in advance I think

can some one let me know how I retard the timing by 10 degrees.

thanks

Derek
paul_h

Re: Adjusting timing after removing unichip

Post by paul_h »

2%Tiger wrote:Hi all
The unichip is out and the stock ecu now rewired. If my memory serves me right the timing is out by 10degrees, in advance I think

thanks

Derek

you need to check your mechanical timing the ecu will take car of your electronic timing advance.

To do this you will need a strobe light very easy and straight forward to do.

basically connect up your stobe as per manufacturers details usually an earth, live and connector to No1 plug lead. Use a paperclip or peice of wire to jump the connector Te1 and E1 I think from the top of my head (same as checking error codes). start the car and shine the stobe down untill you can see the marks on the bottom pulley and cover. The mark on the pulley should line up with the mark on the cover at 10 deg. If not loosen the distributor 14mm socket requires and turn it till the marks line up then retighten the distributor.

nice and straight forward should take about 10 mins

hope this helps

paul

p.s. not sure why your timing would be out just because you had a unichip fitted. are you sure its out by 10 degress?
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

hornsey wrote:
2%Tiger wrote:Hi all

thanks

Derek

basically connect up your stobe as per manufacturers details usually an earth, live and connector to No1 plug lead. Use a paperclip or peice of wire to jump the connector Te1 and E1 I think from the top of my head (same as checking error codes). start the car and shine the stobe down untill you can see the marks on the bottom pulley and cover. The mark on the pulley should line up with the mark on the cover at 10 deg. If not loosen the distributor 14mm socket requires and turn it till the marks line up then retighten the distributor.

p.s. not sure why your timing would be out just because you had a unichip fitted. are you sure its out by 10 degress?

Spot on instructions.

ISTR that when they fit the Unichip, they advance the timing wildly - and then force the ECU to retard the timing by adjusting the signals its sees - the overall result is the timing is advanced a little where possible to increase power output - running Super Unleaded also helps if the car normally runs on Unleaded.
2%Tiger

unichip

Post by 2%Tiger »

cheers !!
MR2Mania

Post by MR2Mania »

ISTR that when they fit the Unichip, they advance the timing wildly - and then force the ECU to retard the timing by adjusting the signals its sees - the overall result is the timing is advanced a little where possible to increase power output - running Super Unleaded also helps if the car normally runs on Unleaded.

Actually, the reason they do it is so that the Unichip can see the signal coming in advance and hence be able to manipulate the timing. To compensate for the 10deg advance that you have to set mechanically, the Unichip then retards it by 10deg to bring you back. That's the way I understand it, anyway.

Return to “Mechanical”