Hello - newbie here

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

waynestoyotamr2

Re: Hello - newbie here

Post by waynestoyotamr2 »

well on my little MK1 i went for a K&N air filter and a custom big bore exhaust, exhaust had a square shaped tip which went well with the car, made it sound the nuts too!

pic of my old beast :twisted:

ps. Thats a lovely looking Mk1

*saves pic into collection*
"If in doubt - just make the numbers up!" ;)
spudgun

Post by spudgun »

welcome sir, glad to see another mk1 owner getting onboard . There does seem to be a lot more of us around these days.
We will help if we can.
Chris \'aka rustboy\' Amm

Post by Chris \'aka rustboy\' Amm »

i do miss my MK1! if i had the space and cash i'd defo have another MK1 for a run about and save my turbo for nice days :)
waynestoyotamr2

Chris 'aka rustboy' Ammon wrote:i do miss my MK1! if i had the space and cash i'd defo have another MK1 for a run about and save my turbo for nice days :)

Makes me want one for everyday use! Perhaps next year......
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

waynestoyotamr2 wrote:Lauren, that pic above has the Front Mud Guards I was on about......

Yep know what you are saying. I wonder if they all had front mudflaps? Maybe it was a dealer option or could Chris's ones be aftermarket?
waynestoyotamr2

We broke one exactly the same colour as Chris's up at the barn in Southport and I recall that having the front mud guards.

Are you having side skirts did you say Lauren? Come to think of it, If you did have the side skirts, the front mud guards wouldnt fit IIRC, they fit with the contour of the front arch.

Lauren wrote:
waynestoyotamr2 wrote:Lauren, that pic above has the Front Mud Guards I was on about......

Yep know what you are saying. I wonder if they all had front mudflaps? Maybe it was a dealer option or could Chris's ones be aftermarket?

don't think so as mine said MR2 on them and looked pretty offical to me!

i thought only early models had them and was optional later?

i've seen later spec cars with them but colour coded to the same colour as the car
waynestoyotamr2

Chris 'aka rustboy' Ammon wrote:
Lauren wrote:

don't think so as mine said MR2 on them and looked pretty offical to me!

i thought only early models had them and was optional later?

i've seen later spec cars with them but colour coded to the same colour as the car

Yeah, deffo official stuff Chris. I would even go as far as saying it was the EXTREMELY early cars that had them

Did you car have the skirts too?

IIRC and from my calculations, the front mud guards wont fit if the side skirts are there, I am usually proved wrong though, and am open to be proved wrong in this case!

nope my car had no kit at all! was one of the first, as i said made very late 84 and sold in march 85

loved it to bits i did :D it's still about and i know the guy that brought it and where it is so it made selling it a little easier! least i know it's going to be driven and tidied up and not just scraped! :)
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

waynestoyotamr2 wrote:We broke one exactly the same colour as Chris's up at the barn in Southport and I recall that having the front mud guards.

Are you having side skirts did you say Lauren? Come to think of it, If you did have the side skirts, the front mud guards wouldnt fit IIRC, they fit with the contour of the front arch.

My Jan 86 car has or should i say had sideskirts but i'm trying to do it up like an 84/85 car.

I suppose i'm going to have to find front mudflaps too now!
crazylegs

Post by crazylegs »

there is really not that much you can do to a standard mk1 engine most has been done by the factory.you can go for a different filter and exhaust but you will only gain a few horses and probably not notice.you can also go for a unichip this will give more torque throughout the rev range but little overall power increase.i tried this and was initially pleased with the results but soon began to realise a lot of the character was taken out of the engine.i now run a near standard car again.you could also have a go with different cams this can work well,but at the expense of bottom end driveability.several people on here could tell you about that.
then theres the engines a supercharger conversion like laurens is popular or for the mildly insane a mr woods turbo conversion or even his latest creation a V6 (turbo?) squeesed into the back.
take your pick but the important thing is to love the mk1.its the best ,most honest and most fun car around.where else do you get so many smiles to the pound?
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

Damen wrote:Excellent, thanks for the warm reception..
I have had my car since August, and though she needs a bit of body work (rear wheel arches) she seems a great little car.

Would I be correct in saying that people tend to just stick another engine in (the 2l turbo by the sounds of things) rather than actually doing a lot of work on the existing engine?

Are there any die-hard must-do mods that anyone would suggest?

I need to feel that I am doing something to the car or she won't love me!! :?

Damen, LoL! Good to see the people here are already giving you good (bad) ideas.

Personally, I've got a Mk2 Turbo and a early Mk1 NA. The Mk1 is my track car - I've been tempted to look at various upgrades to it, but all I've done is fit a cone filter so I can hear the intake better above 4k rpms - its sounds fantastic, well worth the 2-3bp power loss from drawing in warm air ;-)

I think the standard Mk1 NA engine is a really good as it is - if you tune NA cars (as a rule) you swap low down torque for top end power. If you're a torque junkie, the only way to go really is to go for forced induction - a SC engine swap is popular, but will cost 2-3k ...
waynestoyotamr2

Lauren wrote:Hi Damen,

There are a fair few of us MK1 nutters around so please feel free to join in.

I am currently on my third MK1 having had the cars for nearly 5 years now. I currently have a maddly modded and soon to be broken up SC and an early MK1 about to undergo restoration and cost me a fortune.

There's also Toni with her upcoming no holds barred twincharger conversion, Paul Woods with a MK1 V6 & a Turbo and then Crazylegs, Spudgun et al, who know pretty much every nut and bolt on a MK1.

I think its fair to say that there are a lot of MK2 owners on here, probably because the MK2 is so common ;)

But don't worry there are plenty of people here interested in MK1s.

If you have any questions please ask away

HTH

Lauren
IMOC-UK Admin Team

You forgot me Lauren! No technical knowledge, but plenty of enthusiasm :D
stevel

Post by stevel »

waynestoyotamr2 wrote:
No technical knowledge, but plenty of enthusiasm :D

mmm my wife says something along those lines :?
waynestoyotamr2

stevel wrote:
waynestoyotamr2 wrote:
No technical knowledge, but plenty of enthusiasm :D

mmm my wife says something along those lines :?

Yeah, I know............................!
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

waynestoyotamr2 wrote:You forgot me Lauren! No technical knowledge, but plenty of enthusiasm :D

I know Wayne ;) I was trying to spare him.
waynestoyotamr2

Lauren wrote:
waynestoyotamr2 wrote:You forgot me Lauren! No technical knowledge, but plenty of enthusiasm :D

I know Wayne ;) I was trying to spare him.

LOL! Dont blame you, I'll get there in the end tho!

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”