Engine not starting and misfiring

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Chaps

Engine not starting and misfiring

Post by Chaps »

I have got a rev 3 turbo and it has just gone mental! I started it this morning and drove it off my drive and back (about 10 metres) and everything was fine started first time no strange noises but when I went out to go out later it wouldn't start. When the key is turned all the dash lights come on as usual but the engine does nothing. I tried to jump it using a mates car but it wasn't interested. We finally managed to get it started by bumping down a hill but when it started there was loads of black smoke and it sounded awful, misfiring badly, the boost guage is permenantly showing full boost and the rev counter is jumping all over the place. Any help with what might be wrong with it would be much appreciated!
Paul R

Re: Engine not starting and misfiring

Post by Paul R »

Hi,

Last time my rev counter started to go nuts, it was the battery/alternator that was nackered.

Dont know if thats any help!

Cheers,

Paul.
Jonty

Charge the battery

Post by Jonty »

I'd definately be suspicious of a flat battery, for whatever reason (i.e. it's dying or perhaps the alternator is.)

Your opening line is a very good starting point -- you say you started the car, moved it around, and then parked up. Starting the car is the hardest job the battery has to do and if the battery was low on charge then you probably used up the last bit of juice it had. Normally when they're flat you can't start them (I know, I know, too obvious...) and you'll hear relays clicking. You can also confirm this by checking your windows (very slow in operation?) and perhaps your lights (which may be very, very dim.)

As it stands now, when you get it started next, take it for a good 30 minute run, on roads where you can do 40, 50+ mph (and leave off power draining toys like the stereo, fan, and lights.) When you get back home you should have a well charged battery. Turn off and try to re-start about 30 mins later. If it doesn't want to know then either your battery has packed up or your alternator isn't charging properly.

That's a good starting point for you.

Regards,

Jonty.

Return to “Mechanical”