Mondello Trackday anyone ?

Posts about trackdays and motorsport.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

BenF
Premium Member

Mondello Trackday anyone ?

Post by BenF »

Following the trackday at Donington last week, there's been some talk about future Trackdays possibly abroad in mainland Europe or Ireland.

One potential option would be to head to Mondello Park near Dublin in Ireland - who might be interested in a day there, with some social events either side?
jonno

Re: Mondello Trackday anyone ?

Post by jonno »

Count me in - where do i sign?

Pete Carrick and Mick were telling me all about it in the pub after the Donington trackday, sounded fantastic to me :)

http://www.mondello.ie/
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Ben,

it might be an idea to move this to the 'motorsport' section seeing as its a trackday.

Mondello looks to be a fab circuit so and yes i would like to go.
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

Lauren, good point - done
Nelo

Post by Nelo »

Wow just spotted this now! Thanks for posting the thread Ben, much appreciated!

I have to say, i've driven on a few tracks and Mondello is probably my favourite one. Maybe it's because it's my local track but it has an absolutely amazing combination of fast and slow corners and is quite technical but at the same time newbies can have fun at it as well.

Would be great to have a few of you guys over from the UK to join us Irish MR2 owners. Most of the guys in the club over here will be going to Mondello when it's finalised as they've been hassling me no end to try and organise it so it will be great to see it all come together.

Cheers
Pete
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

Nelo 漂&#27 wrote:Wow just spotted this now! Thanks for posting the thread Ben, much appreciated!

I have to say, i've driven on a few tracks and Mondello is probably my favourite one. Maybe it's because it's my local track but it has an absolutely amazing combination of fast and slow corners and is quite technical but at the same time newbies can have fun at it as well.

Pete, No worries. Are there any video clips out there that we can download and see what the track looks like from inside a car?

Also - how'd you rate the amount of run-off at Mondello? Donnington was ideal as there's miles of grass before you can hit anything, so it is ideal for first timers out on track to push a little...

Nelo 漂&#27 wrote:
Would be great to have a few of you guys over from the UK to join us Irish MR2 owners. Most of the guys in the club over here will be going to Mondello when it's finalised as they've been hassling me no end to try and organise it so it will be great to see it all come together.

Cheers
Pete

Yeah, certainly would. This is about the right time of year to be looking ahead to a weekend maybe late July / August time for some time on track
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

It might be worth bearing in mind that getting trackdays on a weekend during the summer may prove difficult or expensive.

This is because race meetings take priority and everyone want to use the circuit during the summer.

I'm not saying its impossible, but this is why previous IMOC days have been pitched in the Spring/autumn time of year.

Also in the summer most booked tracktime tends to be mid-week.
stevel

Post by stevel »

Lauren wrote:It might be worth bearing in mind that getting trackdays on a weekend during the summer may prove difficult or expensive.

I think a few days off work is in order :lol:
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

stevel wrote:
I think a few days off work is in order :lol:

I'm all for that Steve,particularly if it lowers the cost (which its bound too).

Only thing is that people do get put off by events that require a day off even though most of us have heard of taking a days holiday or a sickie ;)

Lets see what Pete comes back with datewise.
Nelo

Post by Nelo »

Right, heres some videos of the first day I took my car back out on track after the rebuild back in August. Most of them have my and 2 friends in it, one in an E30 M3 and the other in an R33 GTS-T.

Video 1:

Twin drifting!
Twin Drifting

Video 2:

overcooks it slightly!

Skyline spins

Video 3:

Friend decides to cut the grass on the home straight so the spectators can get a better look. (He's in the background!)

Flymo Barry

Video 4:

I overtake the M3 on the straight and manage to go sideways around turn 1.

Video 4

Video 5:

I think I xxxx myself proper here, back end went extremely light under braking and I don't know how I didn't spin off!

Oops!

Let me know what you guys think. At the moment the circuit manager is on holidays for the Christmas so i'll get a list of available dates when he gets back! I'm getting excited now, gonna have a chat with the MX5OC lads over here and see what the story is too.

Cheers
Pete
Nelo

Post by Nelo »

BenF wrote:
Also - how'd you rate the amount of run-off at Mondello? Donnington was ideal as there's miles of grass before you can hit anything, so it is ideal for first timers out on track to push a little...

Regarding the runoff, I would say Mondello has LOADS of run off area. In the years i've been going to trackdays there i've only ever seen about 3 or 4 cars go off and damage themselves.

If I were to compare it to Donny I would say that Mondello is a LOT safer. There are a lot more Low speed corners when compared to Donny and if I am perfectly honest I was a bit scared of Donny because I had a pretty good feeling if you lost it you will be coming off at high speed which is the total opposite of Mondello which is a lot more n00b friendly but at the same time can be quite challenging for regulars.

The BRDA hold 2 rounds of the Rallycross at Mondello every year as well just in case people haven't heard about it, also the BTCC have a round or 2 as well so it is an internationally recognised track.

Will throw up some pics later!
Pete

Return to “Motorsport and Trackdays”