MKII Tub - Clutch sucks into floor???

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

moon_monster

Post by moon_monster »

Hi People

Every now and then my clutch pedal disappears into the floor, feels as if its being sucked down as i push to change gear. Still operates in this state but with about 2 inches of travel. It only comes back up if i put my foot under it and lift it up again.

Thanks
de_niro69

Post by de_niro69 »

Hi Moon_monster,

Sounds like your Clutch Master Cylinder is on its way out!!
Baker

Re: MKII Tub - Clutch sucks into floor???

Post by Baker »

what is the master slave cylinder? just had mine replaced.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Probably your clutch slave cylinder which is found on top of the gearbox. You can refurb them or replace it.

IIRC about £30.

Is quite an easy DIY job.
briforbes

clutch

Post by briforbes »

It's possibly not the master cylinder mate.

I've just had the same problem, it eventually got worse until I got a rumbling noise and gear changes felt horrible.

It was suggested that it could be the cylinder leaking/faulty seals but it wasn't that.

It turned out my clutch release bearing was knackered and it's been in getting it done this week.

If it gets gradually worse, and the goes away when you press the clutch pedal that's what it'll be.
JJ

Post by JJ »

Have we tried topping it up ????????????????????????

Its in the front well, if you look at the brake reservoir, its to the right of it, below the plastic covers... you'll see the reservoir on its own. Top it up with some brake fluid and it should do the trick if the fluids run a little low !

:wink:
|| S256SX Airwerks Powered MR2 Turbo || V10 BMW M5 ||
the-dog

Post by the-dog »

it is most prob your master cylinder mate i av done a few. after you replace it u will prob need a vacum bleeder to bleed it off, i av come across this prob a few time and they av bin a right bas*ard to bleed if i was u i would diff try and get hold of a vacum bleeded coz it will save a lot of time and stress....

roy.. :)
moon_monster

Post by moon_monster »

thanks guys, ive check the fluid level and its on max, where does this lead me now? if the master/slave cylinders are faullty would the fluid level be low? Not wanting to throw you guys off track.....i do however have for a while now had a rumble from my gearbox which goes when the clutch is pressed...... could this be linked to the release bearing as suggested above?
Andy Jones

Post by Andy Jones »

Hi Moon Monster, I had exactly the same problem a few months back and twas down to the clutch release bearing as briforbes says above, I had a "ticking" noise which was a lot more audible with the passenger door open which went away with the slightest amount of pressure applied to the clutch pedal but over a couple of weeks i had to depress the clutch further to make the noise go away and the clutch sticking to the floor became more frequent. I had the clutch replaced and had the master cylinder done at the same time. Although i was told afterwards changing the master cylinder wasn't necessary :(

Return to “Mechanical”