[Mk2] [NA] My 3VZ-FE V6 Swap

V6? V8? TDI? Discussion and technical advice for engine transplants inc. 5SFE & 5SGTE builds. Not for N/A to Turbo, or Rev1/2 to 3+ conversions.
Project and build threads welcome.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

BarronMR

Re: [Mk2] [NA] My 3VZ-FE V6 Swap

Post by BarronMR »

Tiny wrote:So no oil change every 3K then? that was getting exspensive every 2 months. what kind of mileage can i expect interms of fuel comparible to the tubby or abit worse im getting just over 330 to a tank if im careful in my rev2 about 250-80 if im boosting it lots

I feel best to comment on fuel as I've just gone from a rev3 tubby to a V6. The V6 is better during aggressive driving as its not overfueling like the 3sgte does. As for town driving the v6 is again a little better as the wide powerband is more useful, with full torque @ 2500RPM it drives like a diesel that revs.

Regards Luke
Tiny

Post by Tiny »

Ok well im convinced anyone got any tips on how to convince the Wife that this is a good idea :pray:
Poohbear

Post by Poohbear »

This is the story of my journey to pick the completed car up.

Caught the bus @ 7.00am from King's Lynn to Peterborough Rail Station to pick up the train to Durham. Settled into first class for the 2 1/4 hour trip up, all day breakfast ciabatta and coffee going down very nicely indeed :)

Get to Durham @ 10.50 and within 10 mins Paul is there to pick us up and ferry us to his workshop about 10 mins away (top service mate). On arrival my baby is sitting waiting outside the workshop as clean as it can be seeing as the heavens had just opened.

Not sure what it is about people going to pick there cars up from Paul (jinxed he is with the weather hey Jinja??)

Anyway quick gander at the car and the side strips that Paul has kindly renovated and painted for me and it's time to open the engine lid and take my first real look. Let me tell you the pictures don't do Pauls work justice in the flesh it is stunning.
Next thing is to turn the key and start the car....omfg what a sound...after the initial 2000 rpm tickover until warm the engine settles down to a lovely soft burble that can only come from a V6 or V8, couple of presses of the throttle and all hell breaks loose sounds gorgeous...at this point Maggie will tell you i'm grinning like a cheshire cat and raring to go lol.

Back into the workshop to have a look round at the other conversions Paul is doing and to pay him his dues. Some advice from Paul with regards to some checks to do in a few days and we are ready to leave.

With Pauls words of advice ringing in my ears about keeping it to 4000 rpm for the first 100 miles we set off on the trip home...after some slow pottering around to get off the trading estate we turn on to the main road and I start to drive it as I drove the 3S-GE...oops straight up to 5K in second...need to be a bit lighter on the throttle for a little while, this V6 spins up really quickly by comparison.

After a stop to brim fill the petrol tank we set off down th A1 for the monotonous section of the journey home. First thing we notice at cruising speed 3000 rpm is how much less droney it is..it's very quiet indeed (I thought with the de-cat it would be really loud)

As we get 100 miles or so on the engine I start to have a play booting it 5th gear from 2.5K to 5K....the surge is totally unexpected it just pulls and pulls from nothing...I loved my 3S-GE to bits but it had nowhere near the grunt that this V6 does, god knows what it will be like when I start to give it full beans. Noise wise...let's say it's easily as good as the 3S-GE and it's going to be addictive :)

Butt dyno feels like 220bhp but we will find out for sure at the first opportunity.

As we near the end of our journey I get Maggs to video some footage as we come off a roundabout, I'm giving it roughly 5K in every gear, I'll let you be the judge see video below...excuse the quality it was taken with a phone cam.

Anyway we got home without any issues or problems, car is running sweet as a nut, a real testament to Pauls skills. Popped into a petrol station to brim fill the car with petrol again and worked out the the V6 returned 32mpg so about the same as the 3S-GE :)

Oh and some final pics of the completed Engine bay.

Bob
I'm Going To Die Young...But When I'm Very Very Old!
jrleech

Post by jrleech »

Always liked your car Bob, and now a V6 that really suits it :thumleft:
blue2

Post by blue2 »

Paul is doing my conversion in the next few weeks, Ive been waiting since around xmas and I cannot wait! They have been really busy with conversions, I think they have been doing one a week. Only heard good things about woodsport, they have a really good reputation.
My car is the same colour as yours, love the engine detailing Im having something similar too. 8)

Return to “MR2 Engine Swaps”