Rolling road tuning - worth it?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Ianroony

Rolling road tuning - worth it?

Post by Ianroony »

Hi

I have a fairly standard Rev3 Turbo, just a different Filter and Fujitsubo Exhaust.

I'm keen to get the best out of the engine, is it worth getting it tuned on a rolling road?

Can anyone recommend a good one where they know something about MR2 Turbos, ideally within a 50 mile radius of North London and how much is it likely to cost?

Thanks guys
michael

Re: Rolling road tuning - worth it?

Post by michael »

It's unlikely they will be able to 'tune' anything beyond your timing but it may be a useful visit to ensure fuelling is OK and that the car is putting out the power it should be.

It'll cost around £60 for a diagnostic run depending on where you take it.
Chris \'aka rustboy\' Amm

Post by Chris \'aka rustboy\' Amm »

i will be arranging a RR day at witham at a place called engine advantages. basic run is £30 and hopefully i can blag a 2 run jobby like last time.

they won't tune it as that's extra but depends what you mean by tune?

it will however give you a clue to how things are running and Paul is very good on helpful advice. he deals mainly in cossies but the basics are the same on turbo cars normally so he'll show you flat spots and what may be causing it, plus there'll be fellow MR2 nuts about to give there opinion.

it's just off the A12 so maybe within your 50mile radius?
dan.h

Post by dan.h »

let me know when that is chris!

i have never had my tubby on a rolling road before and i would love to try it out.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

dan.h wrote:let me know when that is chris!

i have never had my tubby on a rolling road before and i would love to try it out.

Here's the topic:

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=797

HTH
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

the rolling road is a great place to tune the car but not during a car shootout since they literally strap it to the rollers and boot it.

If you book the car in for a diagnostic session they will check how the car runs at different revs, if the spark advance is correct / working consistently, running rich / lean etc and a host of other things I can't remember.

Its defo worth it and shouldn't cost more than about £60 / hr + any required bits - usually new spark plugs! ;)
tom tom

I have actually just done it two weeks ago.

Post by tom tom »

i went with a friend (china man) in supra club about two weeks ago nearby surrey.

and i got about 230 something out of my car, which is very standard, and now i am adding more 'things' into my car, see what happen next time.
well, so now i got something to compare....

so maybe we IMOC should go to somewhere and do it together....

if anyone know where to go or thinking about do it as a group, so is cheaper... please PM me....

thanks..
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Re: I have actually just done it two weeks ago.

Post by Lauren »

tom tom wrote:i went with a friend (china man) in supra club about two weeks ago nearby surrey.

and i got about 230 something out of my car, which is very standard, and now i am adding more 'things' into my car, see what happen next time.
well, so now i got something to compare....

so maybe we IMOC should go to somewhere and do it together....

if anyone know where to go or thinking about do it as a group, so is cheaper... please PM me....

thanks..

Have a look in the 'events' section a rolling road day is being organised as we speak
Ianroony

Post by Ianroony »

Thanks for the replies guys

To be honest I'm more interested in a diagnostic session to ensure the car is running well rather than simply finding out its peak figures (although it may be cool to come to a group event :D )

Could anyone recommend anywhere (ideally 50 miles of North London)where I could get a "£60 p/h" session where they know something about the Rev3 Turbo? I've seen Thor in Coventry mentioned in some other threads??

Thanks again..
Mikejc

Post by Mikejc »

I can vouch for Thor's skills as i'm sure many others can. They have a lot of experience with MR2 tuning also :wink:

Mikejc
JAP BOY

Post by JAP BOY »

get maybe a ecu done then chuck it on the rr
disco stu k

in the rollers!

Post by disco stu k »

Rollers are not for the faint of heart, the first time i took my MK1 to circuit motors for a rollers session i nearly cried!! :cry: The noise was defening, ok maybe the induction kit and exhaust was at fault there, but then i realised i drive it like it on the road and tracks etc, so no big deal, till the thermostate welded closed, humph! :x But all well that ends well, and every year at MOT time it takes a trip to the rolling road to make sure i`m running optimum performance, the only difference is now i take ear plugs!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Chris \'aka rustboy\' Amm

Post by Chris \'aka rustboy\' Amm »

ear plugs! you wussy :)

i stood in the garage on the last RR day with a big ass supra and several MR2's and 200SX's some having nur spec's and THAT's pretty loud! :D

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”