ECU stuff

Anything to do with the electrics of the car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Rich

ECU stuff

Post by Rich »

Anyone know of anything which goes from the ECU of a 3SGE to a laptop/pc to log the info, fuel mixtures etc?
Rich

Re: ECU stuff

Post by Rich »

oh and also could do with knowing how easy/how to fit an oil temp guage. Well want to know everything about whats going on in the engine bay, so oil temp, oil pressure, water temp, everything possible lol.
chriminator100

Post by chriminator100 »

id like to know if theres anything for the gte as well..
JMR_AW11

ECU datalogging

Post by JMR_AW11 »

I made a laptop interface to my mk1 MR2 ECU a couple of years ago.
See www.jmross.freeserve.co.uk/page1.html

These ECUs are very powerful when it comes to diagnostics.
The mk1 (4AGE) had this hidden capability which was probably only used by the ECU developers. When they finished they tried to hide it by not fitting any connections or components for it in the production ECU. I found the capability by chance when looking through the ECU ROM code for the mk1 ECU micro. By fitting a few piggyback bits in the ECU (to ressurect the interface) it allows high rate comms to the ECU.
There are over a hundred different commands that can be sent to the 4AGE ECUs. What is shown on my website is only a fraction of what info can be extracted. Even the diagnostic error codes can be extracted direct from the micro memory. No need for the T to E1 wire link in the service connector and counting the flashes on the dash!

The mk2 MR2 ECUs will be even better. I do have a few 3SGE and 3SGTE ECUs to play with and one day I will look through the ROM for a similar interface. Somebody, somewhere may have already done this for the mk2 MR2.

Don't confuse this interface with the crude/basic OBD1 and OBD2 diagnostics. It is far more powerful than OBDx.
Regards
Jeremy
spannerman

Post by spannerman »

Do the MK2 Ecu's for the Turbo versions use an eprom, if this is the case it can be read and the mapping changed.

This would be better than shelling out on Stand alone engine managment.

Just an idea??????
JMR_AW11

Turbo ECU

Post by JMR_AW11 »

All the mk2 ECUs I have seen use a custom 64 pin micro chip. This chip keeps its code and maps within its own internal mask programmed ROM. Therefore there is no external EPROM to play with.

The mk1 4A-GE ECU is similar but uses a 40 pin masked ROM micro chip (different instruction set to the 64 chip)

I found out how to get the masked ROM code out of the mk1 ECU chip and then worked out how to make the ECU reprogrammable (equivalent to standalone).

I have begun a similar process for the mk1 SC ECU (42pin chip). One day I will get round to getting the ROM out of the 64pin chips!

There are already so many ECU products out there for the mk2 that there seems little point in this though. The mk1 (incl mk1 SC) is different, no one seems to offer anything at a low price for this ECU other than the Unichip. I hope to change that in the near future.[/quote]

Post by Guest »

I'd be interested to hear how you get on with your work on the Mk1 SC ECU.... I've got a few plans for kitting out my SC with some goodies (need a solid state disk though - and they're pricey) I'd be interested to hear what products you come up with.

Cheers,
Si.

Return to “Electrical”