HKS Twin Ignition amplifier

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

summ0004

HKS Twin Ignition amplifier

Post by summ0004 »

Well.. whats anyones verdict on these. In theory they give a better spark from the coil so should be better with higher boost levels. Anyone had a play with one?

Paul.
MR2Mania

Re: HKS Twin Ignition amplifier

Post by MR2Mania »

summ0004 wrote:Well.. whats anyones verdict on these. In theory they give a better spark from the coil so should be better with higher boost levels. Anyone had a play with one?

Paul.

Hi Paul,

I know of at least 2 people using that. A mate with a monster 600bhp Skyline, and another with a 400bhp Evo. The one with the Skyline had his break, but he's lucky that his dad is a top electronics bloke and he somehow fixed it.

To be honest, you'd have to be running SERIOUS power on an MR2 to warrant this device. The stock ignition system can be used for up to 600+ bhp. Look at the Fensport cars. They still have stock ignition.

There are other things you could spend your money on, so I personally wouldn't bother. Selecting good plugs, and setting the gaps just right is all you really need (oh, and keeping the dizzy cap, rotor and ignition leads in good condition).
summ0004

Post by summ0004 »

what i thought. Got a new copper dizzy cap on order soon.
Mikejc

Post by Mikejc »

Hi Dino. I'm glad that you mentioned spark plugs as you've just reminded me of question that I wanted to ask a while ago but had forgotton! lol

I bought some TRD IK24 plugs a while back. It said on the back of these not to mess with the gap as they had been preset!? I didn't mess with them at the time and decided to go ahead and fit them for now and ask later...obviously I forgot! lol

?

Mikejc
MR2Mania

Post by MR2Mania »

Mikejc wrote:Hi Dino. I'm glad that you mentioned spark plugs as you've just reminded me of question that I wanted to ask a while ago but had forgotton! lol

I bought some TRD IK24 plugs a while back. It said on the back of these not to mess with the gap as they had been preset!? I didn't mess with them at the time and decided to go ahead and fit them for now and ask later...obviously I forgot! lol

?

Mikejc

I honestly don't know why they say this with iridium and some platinum plugs, unless it's because the electrode is SO sensitive that it could break as you adjust it. ISTR that I've gapped a set that I used before, and there were no issues.

I personally use Grade 7 NGK Gold Palladium plugs. Never had an issue with them.

Return to “Modifications”