big power rev2

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

bodleytunes

Re: big power rev2

Post by bodleytunes »

bit tired, slow to get my head round it :D
jonno

Post by jonno »

Stop playing and buy a motec :)
Forever Feels Like Home, Sitting All Alone Inside Your Head...
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

So if using stock ecu + e-manage can you use a map sensor and air temp sensor to remove the afm?

I don't really wanna go to the extreme of a motec (£££). The thought of long RR time doesn't really fill me with joy. I just want to fiddle with the fuelling and go for 350bhp.

:rendeer:
stevecordiner

Post by stevecordiner »

Jimbob wrote:I don't really wanna go to the extreme of a motec (£££). The thought of long RR time doesn't really fill me with joy. I just want to fiddle with the fuelling and go for 350bhp.

:rendeer:

Rolling road time is what will get you 350hp without blowing the engine up. If you do a quick tune at a cheap dyno place it spells disaster IMO. 350hp is also probably just outside the maximum range of 540 cc injectors. So you need to look to bigger injectors than that. Which means by default if your using the stock ECU with a piggy back you'll probably have a shitty idle and crap running due to a large change in injector size.

1) Reliable
2) Cheap
3) High powered

Pick 2 of these as all 3 arent possible
Small turbos - they're not big and they're not clever!

Just say NO to small turbos!
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

I thought by running a e-manage you could do a 16x16 injector map. I thought this allowed you to map 4 primary and 4 secondary injectors, as I intend to run two sets of 440's (rev2). I also thought that I could have it setup to idle nicely on one set and use the second set more up the rev range, I was hoping this could eleviate the problems associated with big injectors at idle?

Am I wrong....I am new to this

Please help

im dtermined to get 1, 2 and 3 :wink:

Cheers
gtschris.com

Post by gtschris.com »

Jimbob wrote:I thought by running a e-manage you could do a 16x16 injector map. I thought this allowed you to map 4 primary and 4 secondary injectors, as I intend to run two sets of 440's (rev2). I also thought that I could have it setup to idle nicely on one set and use the second set more up the rev range, I was hoping this could eleviate the problems associated with big injectors at idle?

Am I wrong....I am new to this

Please help

im dtermined to get 1, 2 and 3 :wink:

Cheers

The problem you have is the primary injectors are still fired by the toyota ecu so unless you pull loads load of the AFM signal you still hit 100% duty cycle.
www.gtschris.com
tel: 01670 737080
mob: 07786070103
gtschris.com

Post by gtschris.com »

Jimbob wrote:So if using stock ecu + e-manage can you use a map sensor and air temp sensor to remove the afm?

I :rendeer:

Nope.
www.gtschris.com
tel: 01670 737080
mob: 07786070103
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Is it a real problem having one set of injectors at 100% duty as long as the orher ones are making up the difference?
MR2Mania

Post by MR2Mania »

Jimbob wrote:Is it a real problem having one set of injectors at 100% duty as long as the orher ones are making up the difference?

Yes, they're on the absolute limit. What if one clogs or the spray pattern goes funny? OK, you'll have the other injectors to add the extra fueling, but it's not ideal. However, if you're trying to do it on a budget, using a piggy back, then you have no choice.
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

I just don't want to spend more than I have to. If I can do it safely for 0 cost (as I have a spare rail) or safely but maybe a bit better at £400 cost then no cost sounds good to me.

I get what your saying about the problems with full duty, A bigger injector could also clog though with no back-up. Maybe this is safer?

How would I put more load on the AFM signal so I could run one set at say 80% and the other set filling in the missing fuel?
MR2Mania

Post by MR2Mania »

Jimbob wrote:I get what your saying about the problems with full duty, A bigger injector could also clog though with no back-up. Maybe this is safer?

The one thing that people say is that injectors driven at full chat for some time will eventually lock, although I myself have never seen this. A bigger injector won't need to be driven as hard in terms of duty cycle, so in theory, this shouldn't happen. But putting in bigger injectors with the standard ECU is a big NO NO.

Jimbob wrote:
How would I put more load on the AFM signal so I could run one set at say 80% and the other set filling in the missing fuel?

I don't know, to be honest, mate. You're better off talking to a tuner that fits piggy back style ecus. Maybe give Gerry @ Dastek a ring (0845 345 4045).

Failing that, my suggestion would be this. Weigh up how much the hardware will cost doing it the way you're currently thinking (ie piggy back, extra fuel rail and injectors). If this isn't much cheaper than a MoTeC and uprated fuel pump, then you're better off doing that instead.

Note: When considering the price of a MoTeC, don't take into account the mapping, because that's gonna cost you extra on all accounts. Just compare hardware costs.
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

MR2Mania wrote:
Jimbob wrote:I get what your saying about the problems with full duty, A bigger injector could also clog though with no back-up. Maybe this is safer?

The one thing that people say is that injectors driven at full chat for some time will eventually lock, although I myself have never seen this.

One problem with the injectors being on 100% of the time is that their internal windings can overheat as they're constantly energised....
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Cheers for that guys.

I want to make this a car that shows that you can get 350bhp comfortably without spending loads thats why i'm beiung kinda awkward. I have the spare rail and injectors. Came in a little job lot of spares I bought. So the cost of the motec and bigger injectors minus £200 for an e-manage is the difference. Something like a 1s water injection, plus two fuel pressure regulators and a pump!
MR2Mania

Post by MR2Mania »

Jimbob wrote:Cheers for that guys.

I want to make this a car that shows that you can get 350bhp comfortably without spending loads thats why i'm beiung kinda awkward. I have the spare rail and injectors. Came in a little job lot of spares I bought. So the cost of the motec and bigger injectors minus £200 for an e-manage is the difference. Something like a 1s water injection, plus two fuel pressure regulators and a pump!

Out of interest, Jimbob, do you know how you'll be mounting the new additional rail to the manifold? I ask because my mate Ian Ashton (MONSTER Celica) has been meaning to do this for a while now, so that he can realise the best from his package (although we're talking an additional set of injectors to compliment the 950s he's already got), and we've been discussing different ways to do this, but because it's quite a big fabrication job he's been holding off (that, and the fact that he's FLAT OUT working on other people's cars).

Incidentally, when I was at Owens, Rob Brady's Rev2 managed 356bhp on 540s with a Unichip controlling everything, but it was a nightmare to setup and Mark said that he'd NEVER map for larger injectors alone with a Unichip again.
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Well my mate is a welder originating from motorsport roots. We have started making MR2 bits (manifolds and de-cats) the next job is the inlet manifold :wink: from aluminium.

This is my logic behind two sets of injectors. I have a standard rail and the injectors so we will make 4 bosses for the injectors to seat in and 3 bosses (i think thats right for a rev2 rail) threaded to take holding down bolts. All this will be a little tricky but if you make good jigs and take your time its actually not that hard. My mate is toooo adventurous he says p1$$ of p*** to anything welding wise!

We could probably knock out a GT4 inlet manifold if you like. It will not be an overnight turnaround as were busy on the MR2 stuff and it takes a bit of thinking about but can be done. As can just about anything! (thats my mate rubbing off).

I don't know much about the internal tuning of cars :oops: but fabrication is right up my street.
couldnt_think_of_a_name

Post by couldnt_think_of_a_name »

bodleytunes wrote:Hey im not a lazy southerner cheeky git! :oops:

Im from stockport which is manchester (north west!!!!!)

8)

i'm near you mate, up the road in hazel grove, we'll have to go for a blast sometime, not seen your car about tho..

J
royashmr2

Post by royashmr2 »

whet you really need to do is some internal work to the engine. This takes a lot of time and money. But will make the car much more fun to drive and most of all reliable.
CHECK OUT EBAY ITEM No. 7945159958
bodleytunes

Post by bodleytunes »

Is it true that the rev2 is naturally more torquey than a rev3 engine?

Is it easier to get a big torque figure out of my rev2 and be happy with that?

If I can get a 300foot pound figure of torque with a meagre 260hp I would be very happy as big torque is just as fun !!! :D

8)
bodleytunes

Post by bodleytunes »

couldnt_think_of_a_name wrote:
bodleytunes wrote:Hey im not a lazy southerner cheeky git! :oops:

Im from stockport which is manchester (north west!!!!!)

8)

i'm near you mate, up the road in hazel grove, we'll have to go for a blast sometime, not seen your car about tho..

J

Im from Bramhall which is right next to Hazel Grove ! Live round Dairyground estate.
Mine is a red Turbo with 16 inch alloys.

Return to “Modifications”