MR2 clock templates

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Shmed

Re: MR2 clock templates

Post by Shmed »

Hi again,

180mph dials are now available from here

(Cheers James)
p_j_smith

Post by p_j_smith »

Hi

I’ve done a fair but of work on the 110mph MK2 dials in the past, these were based on the IMOC-UK ones uploaded on the old site, I’ll dig out the files over Easter and upload them to a photo site for reference (awaiting somewhere better to upload them).

I’m also looking at the MK1 ones now, if I ever get time I’ll be converting these to look like 2 round dials overlaying each other.

Cheers

Peter
MegatronUK

Post by MegatronUK »

Been playing around with the mk1 dials as posted... just changed them a little bit for mk1.5 owners (moved the redline to what it should be for the 3SGTE, plus a few other bits and pieces.. the MR2 logo etc..):

m4rcus

Post by m4rcus »

For the Mk2 dials, what happens to the backlitness (great description) of the numbers etc?

Cheers

M
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

The whole dial lights up a kinda green colour if you use normal paper to print onto. Looks a bit xxxx to be honest (I can say it coz I have them), the plastic that runs behind the dials carries the light to the dial, but you can see where they touch the back of the dials.

I tried to rectify this by using blue led's, which looks nice, but are a bit too concentrated in places. If anyone has managed to get an even light distribution behind the dials, I would love to know how it is done.
January 2014
..the only thing I can promise for sure is slow progress.

May 2015
just have this niggling thought that if I rip out the wiring, then the car will never get out of the garage again.

Still in the garage...
p_j_smith

Post by p_j_smith »

The Toyota dials balance the light by having a pattern on the rear of them.

I managed to just get the numbers to light up on mine by printing a number of inverted ones on overhead projector sheets and sticking these behind the white paper dials (I can not remember how many I used however - 3 or 4).

There was still a slight amount of unevenness on the light of the numbers, so my next step was to recreate the Toyota pattern and again print this on an overhead projector sheet, but I just never got around to going this.

Peter

PS – I found all my old files on my laptop for this, but I can not transfer them between computers (used to use a direct cable but that’s not letting me now), I am currently trying borrow a plug in CD writer to burn them all now.
[/img]
barry_m

Post by barry_m »

OMG

i cant believe it, i created those Mk1 dials about 3 years ago !!

good to see they are around and still useful to people !

i'm an e-mr2 owner, moved to sydney, and am once again an mr2 owner !
cantfindausername

Post by cantfindausername »

Anyone know what LED's are best to use behind the dails?
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

I think I used these:

http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/product_info ... f2fe6f974e

There may be better ones out there as these were a bit focussed in some areas.
January 2014
..the only thing I can promise for sure is slow progress.

May 2015
just have this niggling thought that if I rip out the wiring, then the car will never get out of the garage again.

Still in the garage...
the_did

Post by the_did »

yeah - 180mhp would be sweet -anybody?
nitric4k

Post by nitric4k »

I know this is really old but has anyone got the mk2 140 mph clock templates?? i really want white dials but cant get them off ebay only place is speedhut but i dont want spend that much as i dont plan on keepin this 2 long, i want a g limited or turb next
misterT

180mph clocks?

Post by misterT »

hello mate, i just read your message refering to 180mph clocks, if you still have them any chance you could email a copy? thanks vey much. misterT [email protected] :)
DotNetter

Post by DotNetter »

robbrookes5 wrote:I know this is really old but has anyone got the mk2 140 mph clock templates?? i really want white dials but cant get them off ebay only place is speedhut but i dont want spend that much as i dont plan on keepin this 2 long, i want a g limited or turb next

Only think I can suggest is for you to remove your dials and scan them (although not sure you'll get the image with black dials?) and then email me. I'll happily amend the uploaded dials to what you want and then email it back.

Cheers

Wayne
DotNetter

Post by DotNetter »

Okay...is this anyone on here?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TOYOTA-MR2-TURBO- ... dZViewItem

Not a bad idea...I may well do it myself - but better obviously :mrgreen:

Who holds the copyright on the images that have been uploaded btw?

Cheers

Wayne
Poohbear

Post by Poohbear »

Shmed wrote:Image

Might need to play around with sizes, from the old Imoc site, so make sure the lines are both 100mm (across and down)

I used this to make a set up..when printing using Photoshop7 the printing scale needed to be 32% for 100mm lines.

I have to say they looked xxxx hot during the day..but alas totally pants at night because i used heavy grade photopaper and the only light was from the gauge needles. If someone can come up with a discrete way of front lighting them they will look cool. I also found when messing about with them in Photoshop, if i used a transparent fill layer I could tint them Blue, green etc.

Took them off in the end because of the night time issue.

Bob
I'm Going To Die Young...But When I'm Very Very Old!
paul port

Post by paul port »

robbrookes5 wrote:I know this is really old but has anyone got the mk2 140 mph clock templates?? i really want white dials but cant get them off ebay only place is speedhut but i dont want spend that much as i dont plan on keepin this 2 long, i want a g limited or turb next

There are 140MPH Mk2 versions around...
On the old site, I had created:

180 MPH for the Import 180Km/h dials fitted with a Km/h MPH converter
110 MPH for the Import 180Km/h dials and NO Km/h MPH converter
160 MPH for UK Speedos
140 MPH for UK Coupe Speedos.

I know the dials look poor when illuminated at night - But Blame Toyota not Me!!!
Let's face it, Toyota designed the illumination system to light up the Numbers only, and not the whole face. I believe the early Lockwood dials suffered the same problem! and you had to PAY for those..

I'll re-visit them over christmas, and create some vignettes (if that's the right word) to mask the rear... Expect new files in the new year Ben ;)

Personally, I don't use them anymore...
I was going to create Electroluminescent backgrounds for mine - but in the end joined the initial purchase of the RHD Speedhut dials.

Paul
nitric4k

Post by nitric4k »

cheers for the 140mph clocks Paul, look great, how ever i have noticed the night problem myself

im going to try this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 6830385977

hopefully the uv effect will look really nice, and it should make the white glow too, will post pics when i have done it if anyone wants??

would the Electroluminescent sheet still shine through the paper though? as that would be the more proffesional looking way!

but hopefully the uv front lighting will look good
nitric4k

Post by nitric4k »

how can i upload the 140mph and the 160mph they are fully set up in the tiff format ready for printing?
recoil

Post by recoil »

I know this is an old thread, but does any1 have a template for the MR2 MK2 180mph please
antoMR2

Post by antoMR2 »

has anyone mk2 dials they can put up please

Return to “Modifications”