Will it all meet up?

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Jimbob

Will it all meet up?

Post by Jimbob »

Hi,

Not claiming to know much at all about engine re-building can someone offer some advice please? :oops:

There are sooo many variety's of cams, pistons, rods, hg's etc etc. Im confused. :?

I really need some help on the stock engine dimensions. Throw of the rods, piston heights (don't know what its called from Gudgeon Pin centre to top of crown), cam lifts etc. My concern is that I will buy a lot of nice looking parts fit them all together and then find out that..........

The HG is too thin, combined with the high cam lift, and increased piston height everything meets at the top.............ouch.

I would really appreciate some help with figures so I can plan what will fit best.

Cheers,

James
MR2Mania

Re: Will it all meet up?

Post by MR2Mania »

Jimbob wrote:Hi,

Not claiming to know much at all about engine re-building can someone offer some advice please? :oops:

There are sooo many variety's of cams, pistons, rods, hg's etc etc. Im confused. :?

I really need some help on the stock engine dimensions. Throw of the rods, piston heights (don't know what its called from Gudgeon Pin centre to top of crown), cam lifts etc. My concern is that I will buy a lot of nice looking parts fit them all together and then find out that..........

The HG is too thin, combined with the high cam lift, and increased piston height everything meets at the top.............ouch.

I would really appreciate some help with figures so I can plan what will fit best.

Cheers,

James

James, you won't need to know all this if you're just fitting forged pistons. Are you planning on doing a stroker conversion or something?
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Planning on.............

Pistons
Rods
HG
Cams (maybe rev3 valves too)

Cheers mate,

James
MR2Mania

Post by MR2Mania »

Jimbob wrote:Planning on.............

Pistons
Rods
HG
Cams (maybe rev3 valves too)

Cheers mate,

James

OK, in that case, have a dig around on the US Forum for the length of the rods (gudgeon pin centre to big end centre). Because a guy called ChrisK developed a custom "long rod" conversion, those measurements should be easily available (as a comparison between the standard rod ratio and the custom one). If you use stock length rods, then the deck height shouldn't change (unless the pistons you get are for some reason taller from the gudgeon pin to the crown), so you don't need to worry about that or the HG thickness (other than for setting the desired CR).

DON'T go for aftermarket cams intended for the Rev3 if you have an older Rev. Basically, the earlier heads didn't have enough space inside to run the longer lift of the Rev3 aftermarket cams (for example, compare the lift of HKS 272s for both a Rev1 and Rev3).

Other than that, you should be OK. :D
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Cool. Cheers mate.

I'm looking at eagle rods. Arias pistons to keep standard CR (JE's seem cheap but raise CR), And standard thicknesss HG (maybe a bit thicker if head is skimmed slightly to tidy it up).

Should I lower the CR for increased boost? I'll be going for around 1.3-1.5bar with a GT28rs. I will obviousley have fuelling to match and I'm going for a 1s 50/50 methanol/water.

Any comments?

Cheers

James

Return to “Modifications”