*updated pic at day* chromed din with green neon backlight

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

ryan

*updated pic at day* chromed din with green neon backlight

Post by ryan »

Its not as in yer face as the pic suggests, blends in with the dash, being green backlit

Last edited by ryan on Thu Dec 30, 2004 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
raptor95GTS

Re: *updated pic at day* chromed din with green neon backlight

Post by raptor95GTS »

looks nice, not my scene but not in yer face either. Good work
Sidewinder

Post by Sidewinder »

That awful Mercedes on the last Top Gear had the door sills in a similar vein to your DIN panel, and I was pretty impressed at the blingness.
Mk2 NA Rev1 -*- Mk2 Turbo Rev2 -*- Mk1 NA -*- Mk2 Turbo Rev 3 = all gone!

Post by Hedgehog Dodger »

Nige wrote:That awful Mercedes on the last Top Gear had the door sills in a similar vein to your DIN panel, and I was pretty impressed at the blingness.

S55 I think it was, and I was impressed with it. I thought it looked nice in a 4X4 kind of way :P
craig

Post by craig »

That looks top mate! I would have something similar in mine if I didn't have the gauges there 8)
Sidewinder

Re: Pic of my chromed din with green neon backlight

Post by Sidewinder »

ryan wrote:Its not as in yer face as the pic suggests, blends in with the dash, being green backlit

Got any pictures of the panel in the daylight?
Mk2 NA Rev1 -*- Mk2 Turbo Rev2 -*- Mk1 NA -*- Mk2 Turbo Rev 3 = all gone!

Post by bozza »

i like it. where did ya get it from
tom tom

Cool as hell....

Post by tom tom »

This look so good in a MR2, where did you get it? Any chance to buy one? or even group buy?

tom tom :roll:
ryan

Post by ryan »

Well, I made it mostly myself.
I wired one of those Halfords neon stick sets (the one with two 8cm neon sticks) cost 15 quid I think.
I wired them in to the fag lighter illumination so they come on when the sidelights etc are on. I drilled a hole in the back of the din pocket and threaded the sticks through.
I then lined the pocket with foil using double sided tape, then I stuck the sticks in on their adhesive 'feet' lengthways to give even light distribution.
Next, I got a piece of glass (180mmx50mm I think?) from a glaciers , the 2mm thick glass, and then I got the "MR2" font cut into adhesive black vinyl (traced it off the back of the car, same size incidentally). I got the graphics place to attach some obscure film to the other side of the glass (its like a mettalic looking film that lets light through - the graphics shop will know what you mean).
Then I stuck it in place using the double sided spongey tape from Halfrauds, applying along the din pocket edges.
I removed the black adhesive and replaced it with the stainless steel plate at a later date as some guy in Swansea was producing them (also TRD ones) and selling them on E bay.
I'm still not sure if the bling of the SSteel looks right as the black did blend in with the dash a lot more :?

HTH and thanks for the comments boys :wink:

Ryan

Return to “Modifications”