best coil overs??

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

MR2Mania

Re: best coil overs??

Post by MR2Mania »

Lauren wrote:But they are not to the high standard of european spec ones, thats the problem, which is partly why they are so cheap on ebay etc. Why not go for Leda if you want better quality engineering (ie British)? They'll even make them to spec for you.

But the internals will be changed when they come over here!!

Leda? What about all the issues that people had with them? ;)

I think the quality will be fine, Lauren. I've looked into this quite a bit.
jonno

Post by jonno »

For what its worth some of the best quality kit I have ever seen has come from Japan. Im not knocking british engineering at all, I just think that saying that the Jap stuff will be poor quality is a bit naive. After all they have been racing the MR2 for alot longer than we have.

As long as your suspension is correct for your application, fast road, track, drifting etc then I am sure that it will perform as expected from Ohlins. They are one of the worlds most respected suspension manufacturers.

Leda are an unproven quantity for me, I have never been in a car that is running them so I cant comment. They "look" ok to me, although fitment does seem a problem, largely due to lack of experience with the MR2 I would guess.

To be perfectly honest I think that the Anti Roll bars make a much bigger difference in a MkII than springs and dampers but thats just my opinion.

Neil.
Forever Feels Like Home, Sitting All Alone Inside Your Head...
Andy F

Post by Andy F »

So you've lost your Ego??? xxxx!! At least you've still got your Mojo though, heh?
Mojo was lost some time ago :roll:

Seriously though, how have you found your fueling, now that you can monitor it? Have you done any tweaking now that you've got lambda readings? Have you calibrated the output such that it will produce the same reading in the ECU as it will on the LM1's display?

Fueling seems ok, the highest peak was 78% duty that was at 1.8 bar WOT, i have still have to calibrate, this is a job for today :cry: . When i watch the monitor bar its all over the place, the car is running rich though im am getting 40miles for £20 ouch.
Going down to Thor next Sat morning with Neil for a map session, try and watch what they adjust so i get more idea of what to do :shock:
jonno

Post by jonno »

Mine is rich too - getting about 160miles per tank, amost regardless of how hard i drive it.

I think that Thor set it up to run rich on part throttle to make it smoother - which is certainly did - but at the expense of fuel economy!

Neil.
Andy F

Post by Andy F »

Anything will be better than it is now
Every time i get the car out i have to go straight to Mr Shell and give him more money LOL
MR2Mania

Post by MR2Mania »

Andy F wrote:Fueling seems ok, the highest peak was 78% duty that was at 1.8 bar WOT, i have still have to calibrate, this is a job for today :cry: . When i watch the monitor bar its all over the place, the car is running rich though im am getting 40miles for £20 ouch.
Going down to Thor next Sat morning with Neil for a map session, try and watch what they adjust so i get more idea of what to do :shock:

What was the lambda reading at that point (1.8bar)? What does your fuel system comprise of?

I remember Ian telling me that Fraser had some issues with the fueling shifting from what he'd set it at before on the previous run.

I think you (and anyone tuning your car) need to get used to the ECU and it's software.

Incidentally, mate, if you want any help while you're trying to set up the LM1, give me a ring. You have my mobile no!
Andy F

Post by Andy F »

What was the lambda reading at that point (1.8bar)? What does your fuel system comprise of?

Don't know Dino, must get some Data loggin done :clown:

Supra pump, HKS fuel rail,HKS FPR,720 top feeds,
The FPR is the auto type, im sure in the Tec3 manual it says not to use this type, now i think about it, could this be a problem???

Will give you a ring in a couple of hours
Cheers Dino
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

MR2Mania wrote:
Lauren wrote:But they are not to the high standard of european spec ones, thats the problem, which is partly why they are so cheap on ebay etc. Why not go for Leda if you want better quality engineering (ie British)? They'll even make them to spec for you.

But the internals will be changed when they come over here!!

Leda? What about all the issues that people had with them? ;)

I think the quality will be fine, Lauren. I've looked into this quite a bit.

Ok, ok I didn't know it was you Dino (shirley Dino must have been available as a name?).

as its you i'll trust that you've researched it properly ;)
steve b

Post by steve b »

I like my H&R coilovers, only issue is when you hit a proper pot hole, then they really bang, as the travel is so short, on normal non pot hole roads they are great. They needed custom made droplinks to fit, they require much shorter ones than stock.
'02 VX220 2.2 n/a Daily driver - Exige Size TD 1.2 - TAT shorty Diffuser - HardTop - Chris Tullet 4-1 Manifold.

'97 mk1 Mazda Eunos Turbo track car with 260bhp/ton - soon more as Chris Wilsons going to build me an engine over the winter :o) .
toyokid

Suspension

Post by toyokid »

Hello

I would be tempted to use some KYB AGX's imported from the States, should be no more than £150 for the fronts, you have 4 way adjustment, 1 is good for street and 4 for track.

Have tried Bilsteins and found them too hard on backroads, they bump steered everywhere. Do Eilbach make springs for an MR2?
As a proressive spring they work well on a Celica.

As to fuelling, my ST185 Celica over fuels, it has an Air Flow Meter which has had the spring tightened, it improves economy a little but improves throttle response a lot

Fuelling I think is the secret to getting a reliable 300 bhp for relatively little money, The standard ECU needs as much adjustability as possible to make it happen

My 2p

Stephen
www.toyautosport.com
MR2Mania

Post by MR2Mania »

Lauren wrote:
Ok, ok I didn't know it was you Dino (shirley Dino must have been available as a name?).

No probs, Lauren. And I wish you hadn't told everyone that my weekend name was Shirley!! :oops:

Lauren wrote:
as its you i'll trust that you've researched it properly ;)

LOL! Is that because you know how anal I am about details? ;)
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Oops sorry Shirley, i mean Dino!

And yes to the second comment.. ;)
SimonPearse

Post by SimonPearse »

Lauren wrote:
MR2Mania wrote:
There are a couple of people that are currently waiting for their Jap Spec Ohlins to arrive and then they'll be sent off to be "revalved" by a UK company, and tweaked to suit the owners' needs. I can't wait to see the results, as I personally think this is one of the best options to get a good setup. We'll just have to wait and see...

Jap spec Ohlins are not like the ones you buy in Europe and are not built to the same quality as they are made under licence in Japland. I'd avoid these tbh.

As I understand it Ohlins are owned by Yamaha, who had a bit to do with the 3SGTE...(kind of keeps it in the family). I had to get my ohlins rebuilt due to wear on one damper rod (caused by bad instalation) and the quality seemed to be excellent, though it took a while to source the seals from japan. Im not familiar with the other makes but the ohlins damper rod is (from memory) something like 32mm diameter, which obviously implies a larger sealing area, but may also make the strut stronger in bending.
jonno

Post by jonno »

Fuelling I think is the secret to getting a reliable 300 bhp for relatively little money

if only 300bhp was enough! ;)

Return to “Modifications”