New Bits

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Azz

New Bits

Post by Azz »

I have not started my car for 3 months now, So I am going to get it going, but before I get the new drive shaft I need, I am going to make sure the engine work's, it never froze last year but I have put no Anti-freeze in BUT I have not put any water in either, so it should be OK, so I am going to check the ticker before shelling out on bits, now I am getting a new drive shaft and I am thinking of getting a Dizzy, rotor arm and spark plugs but what else could I get just to help it along :?: ,

Also: I am going to put a small amount of oil in the piston chambers before turning it over, Is this a bad idea or is there a better way of starting it up :?:
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Re: New Bits

Post by Lauren »

If it hasn't been started for a while then it should take a few turns before it catches in which time your oil pressure should build up a bit.

So i'd just start it. Don't bother putting oil down the bores its not a great idea.

I had an engine that hadn't been started for 6 months it took about 40 seconds before the fuel got to the cylinders in which time the oil pressure had built up. It started and ran fine after that.

Return to “Mechanical”