injector sizes

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

MR2Mania

Re: injector sizes

Post by MR2Mania »

nutter wrote:Even though it would be good to prove this. It often makes me wonder why people would take the risk. If you are aiming for 350-400bhp then you've probably spent a fare bit of time and money on your engine. Why skimp on a £80 fuel pump?? Maybe it's just me that thinks that way??

Hi Nutter,

For the record, I have not skimped *one* bit on my engine, not even in the slightest (as I say, I've designed a fuel system for my car that can more than cope with the demands I'll put on it). I'm assuming you mean others?

You're dead right, it's not worth skimping on. But at the same time, I want to disprove to others that think the stock pump can cope, just because some block on the US forum says so! ;)
nutter

Post by nutter »

hi Dino,

I wasn't reffering to you m8, your fuel rail show that :). It's just that I wonder if people do actually think "well the stock pump should be good enough so i'll run with that" after chucking loads of cash at a monster engine build. I suppose what i'm saying is you shouldn't have to prove that the stock pump isn't good enough, because people should take it as a given that if the if you have to upgrade almost every other part of the engine then why would the fuel pump be any different?

thanks

MR2 rev 2 GTS
Wolfkatz fuel rail
800cc injectors
walbro fuel pump
aeromotive FPR

Safe in the knowledge that the petrol will be where it needs to be when the time comes :lol:
KiwiMR2

Post by KiwiMR2 »

You have to find a balance though....no point in going out and replacing all sorts of bit's that don't need to be replaced :) I know of 4 guys off the US board that have been running 800cc injectors off the oem fuel pump for well over a year now with no issues what so ever.

Cheers
KiwiMR2
MR2Mania

Post by MR2Mania »

Nutter, I know you weren't referring to me, mate. I was just saying for the benefit of others that I don't skimp. I'd hate to post how much I've spent on my engine in case it triggers heart attacks across the forum! ;)

Both you and KiwiMR2 have a point. You're right, it's not worth skimping on such a relatively cheap item if you've spent big money elsewhere. The total reliability of a given set of components is only as good as the weakest link.

KiwiMR2 has a point in that, when you're spending so much on your car, there's no point in spending on things that are not needed. If you're not careful, costs spiral out of control.

However, I still think the stock pump needs changing, particularly if you've got forged pistons and can run more boost. The stock pump just can't take the extra boost (which means extra fuel rail pressure). I've got 900s and the stock pump, and duty cycles are at max, and I'm pretty sure looking at my lambda readings that something is making it lean out at high RPM.

KiwiMR2, do you know how much power, and how much boost those US guys are running on the stock pump, and on what fuel (race or road fuel)?

Don't ever get misled into comparing figures between race fuel and normal road fuel. It's a different ball game altogether.
KiwiMR2

Post by KiwiMR2 »

MR2Mania wrote:
KiwiMR2, do you know how much power, and how much boost those US guys are running on the stock pump, and on what fuel (race or road fuel)?

Nah.....it's been a while since I looked into that area, When Im hone tonight I'll have a hunt around my links etc and see if I can dig out the info though :)

Cheers
KiwiMR2

Return to “Modifications”