Hi all, im new here so be gentle......

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

x-pack-man

Hi all, im new here so be gentle......

Post by x-pack-man »

Just picked myself up a J plate 3S-FE engined MR2 for a bag of sand, 67k one owner.
unfortunatelly the last owner neglected the bodywork somewhat and the red has faded, also need 2 doors.
OK, the 3S-FE engine, now i know you are all going to tell me to skip it but im stuck with it for now, what can be done with it, looks like it has a cat on it which will be going and ive fitted an induction kit.
got a lovelly cracked exhaust manifold at the moment too!!!!
any advice welcome as im totally new to these cars, i usually drive 3 litre x packed capris.
Ta muchly and a happy new year to you all.
raptor95GTS

Re: Hi all, im new here so be gentle......

Post by raptor95GTS »

welcome to the club!

the mr2 handles like an mr2 no matter what engine is in it so you can still chuck it round corners like the bigger power models. Just don't try it in this current weather or you 2nd post will start with ' i wrapped my mr2...'

Sounds like the car needs a good service to identify the areas other than the obvious where it can be tidied up. Depending on what gets found will determine what to do next.

If there is any doubt about whether or not the cam belt has been done then I would suggest that getting changed at the 1st service. If the belt goes it SHOULDN'T destroy the engine but that doesn't help at 1am in the pouring rain in the middle of nowhere

HTH Allan
x-pack-man

Post by x-pack-man »

Thanks for the reply, the car belonged to my father who unfortunatelly niglected it somewhat, his "mechanic friend down the pub" fitted a new belt at around 62k miles but the doughnut fitted it a tooth out and it went to a propper mech this time to be sorted out.

HA Ha handling in the wet, something im well used to with driving grunty V6 capris fitted with LSD axles, allthough i am exploiting the full potential of the MR2 handling at the moment its not quite the same.

im on the lookout for 2 doors if anyone can help, in the correct faded red would be good....

anyone know what other toys used the 3S-FE, and if the exhaust manifold is the same at all?
Morphius_MR2

Post by Morphius_MR2 »

Hi Mate, Welcome.
Try e-bay for all your bits and bobs you can usually get anything you want on there.
Also try a search for MR2 breakers uk should bring up a few options for you.
I had a 3S-FE before my tubby and loved it to bits.
Good idea doing a full service oil & filter, plugs, HT leads (get magnecor ones only £10 more than Toyota) dizzy cap & rotor arm, air filter etc.

Toyota MR2 Breakers In The UK

1, Marleys = 01372 729921
2, Fenland Breakers = 01354 651941
3, Nippon = 01332 272292
4, MR2 Solutions = 0870 4431244

Try these for starters.

Enjoy the car and the club, Graham.

Return to “Mechanical”