Fitting new aerial shaft

Anything to do with the electrics of the car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

FizzyBlueMr2

Fitting new aerial shaft

Post by FizzyBlueMr2 »

Hi,

Just bought a replacement shaft for my rev 3 electric aerial from mr t.

Are there any guides anywhere that show the best way to install this?

- Ian.
Rowland

Re: Fitting new aerial shaft

Post by Rowland »

I've seen a new mast fitted by the pro's in under 30 seconds, start to finish!
From memory it's very simple.
You need to unscrew the piece at the base of the mast. You do not even need to open the boot.
Once that is unscrewed you remove the mast and the plastic nylon (?) track completely.
With the stereo in the *on* position feed the new nylon track carefully into the aerial motor mechanism, but not quite all the way.
Get a buddy to switch off the stereo (so to retract the aerial in) and at the same time push the nylon track that little bit further into the mechanism.
This may take several attempts for the track to feed correctly and be taken into the winding mechanism.
Once is does take it moves quite quickly and you really have to be on the ball with lining up the new mast to retract snugly into it's location.
Watch your fingers though!!

As I mentioned earlier I've not fitted one myself but have watched one being changed in jaw dropping speed to my rev 3 turbo!

Hope this helps you matey :D
FizzyBlueMr2

Post by FizzyBlueMr2 »

Ahh.. ok.

I ended up taking the heavy handed approach, took it out of the car (completely) and stripped down the unit. Even took the cover off the motor so that I could wind it by hand....

A long, laborious and a bit messy process compared to what you mention, but thankfully it all seems to work ok afterwards.. ;)
leemcc3

Post by leemcc3 »

Follow this link, should prove useful. Lee

http://www.btinternet.com/~netsurf/mr2t ... .html#wind
Dave_Gat

Post by Dave_Gat »

http://www.mr2.com/TEXT/InstallAntenna.html#mast

got to do mine this weekend I hope. Have the mast. I just hoping it is just the mast and that the gears haven't stripped.

Dave Gatland
97 MkII (NA) rev 4
Dave_Gat

Post by Dave_Gat »

Arial appears to be working all fine. the nilon cord had snapped and it would seem the gear was fine.

Has taken me a while to get around to sorting it but cheers for the info everyone.

Dave Gatland
97 MkII (NA) rev 4

Return to “Electrical”