Exhaust for N/A

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

stevowaring

Exhaust for N/A

Post by stevowaring »

I'm looking at buying a stainless steel exhaust for my 1991 GT T-Bar (N/A).
I've heard that mongoose are pretty good, but I am quite tempted by the Blitz Realise TT.

Anyone who has either of these, what do you think?

P.S. I'm after a twin exit (one each side) exhaust that doesn't sound too much louder than stock... Any ideas?

Steve
2barGee

Re: Exhaust for N/A

Post by 2barGee »

i like to be a bit different think about a custom 1? go for something different than the norm
billy

Post by billy »

Hi,
I have a 1991 n/a GT T-Bar myself. A year ago I fitted a full mongoose + decat (though it didn't have a cat fitted anyway).
Got it from Dan @ DCDEZIGN.COM
Wouldn't trade it for owt. Not too offensive when knocking around town, but when you put your foot down, mmmmmmmm.
Best £300+ quid I have ever spent. No worries.
I am sure that other exhausts are just as good, with different tones/sizes/performance gains, but I find that the mogoose looks and sounds just right - not a bit chav!
Plus, you get a company that has researched the manufacturing of an exhaust for best performance gains/sound/look etc. i.e.
a company staking their reputation/sales on proven results, as opposed to an individual knocking up one that fits and is loud? I (have heard/believe) that a custom job, although sounding just as you would like it to, and designed to the size that you specifically want, can (possibly) provide feck all gain in performance.
Just what I 'have heard'....
HTH
Billy
Steve Flynn

Post by Steve Flynn »

billy wrote:Hi,
I have a 1991 n/a GT T-Bar myself. A year ago I fitted a full mongoose + decat (though it didn't have a cat fitted anyway).
Got it from Dan @ DCDEZIGN.COM
Wouldn't trade it for owt. Not too offensive when knocking around town, but when you put your foot down, mmmmmmmm.
Best £300+ quid I have ever spent. No worries.
I am sure that other exhausts are just as good, with different tones/sizes/performance gains, but I find that the mogoose looks and sounds just right - not a bit chav!
Plus, you get a company that has researched the manufacturing of an exhaust for best performance gains/sound/look etc. i.e.
a company staking their reputation/sales on proven results, as opposed to an individual knocking up one that fits and is loud? I (have heard/believe) that a custom job, although sounding just as you would like it to, and designed to the size that you specifically want, can (possibly) provide feck all gain in performance.
Just what I 'have heard'....
HTH
Billy

I have to agree. The Mongoose is superb
Dave Couzens

Post by Dave Couzens »

And again - another vote for the mongoose. It seems to just get better and better as time goes on.

Plus instead of having a single sounding 'deep' exhaust tone, I find my mongoose changes tone as you go up the range, as well as having a fairly unique "rortyness" to it, it screams at high speeds. Sounds awesome in tunnels at full wack. 8)

Can't say enought good stuff about it. :D
ANT

Post by ANT »

i got a non-standard twin-exit on my n/a although have no idea what make it is as it was fitted back in japan b4 it was imported..

will get some pics :)
ANT

Post by ANT »

how quick was that :D 8)
CUERVO

Post by CUERVO »

Try Longlife in london they do u a costom 1 . any size/shape/twin or more
I had my done in cardiff longlife 100% happy with that!! :D
motep

Post by motep »

I have the Blitz Exhaust on mine! In my opinion, it's the best exhaust available for the N/A although it is a bit pricey.
See attached piccies:

stevowaring

Post by stevowaring »

Does anyone know what sort of power gains you get out of the mongoose vs. the blitz?

Thanks

Steve
David_Aston

Post by David_Aston »

Watch out for the de-cat's unless you are looking to re-map your engine as you will lose power (unless you dont have a cat anyway)
stevowaring

Post by stevowaring »

I have a 1991 N/A which I'm pretty sure doesn't have a cat anyway...

Thanks for the advice anyway.

PS I like your wheels motep :)
billy

Post by billy »

Yeah, mine didn't have a cat on it mate...
91 n/a

regards
ST519

Post by ST519 »

I am looking at mongoose as well for my 1990 H reg MR2.

I don't think I have a de-cat fitted and is it necessary to fit?

What if I fit the de-cat as well? Lose power? I don't understand.

Please help.[/img]
billy

Post by billy »

Hi,
If you haven't got a cat anyway, then fitting a de-cat will not lose you any power, as you are replacing a hollow pipe with a hollow pipe!

Usually fitting a de-cat will gain you power as there is less restriction. It can throw your emissions out during your MOT, but if you haven't got one fitted anyway, you'll be fine.

Regards

p.s. Get the Mongoose....you won't regret it!
David_Aston

Post by David_Aston »

As you havent got a Cat you won't lose anything.
But if you have a Cat fitted then use a de-cat you will lose pressure and this will effect the air/fuel ratio and in turn reduce power
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

David_Aston wrote:As you havent got a Cat you won't lose anything.
But if you have a Cat fitted then use a de-cat you will lose pressure and this will effect the air/fuel ratio and in turn reduce power

When I had my NA de-catted it moved the power-band. I did lose power in the lower revs but gained more at the higher revs. I suppose that might be because I'm getting more pressure at the higher revs?

Would fitting a UniChip or alternative help sort out the fuel/air at the lower revs as well?
Clarky

Post by Clarky »

Btw ANT a bit of car polish on those dull rear lights will prob bring them back to looking like new. Had same thing on my car just happened to use a bit of MER Polish worked a treat! What ever you use try small area first.
Anyone know why they are dull thought perhaps jap owners used some sort of tinting spray?

:D
Clarky

Post by Clarky »

Found this pic of polished back box and rear grill to match front but also shows rear lights

:)Image

Return to “Modifications”