Causes of amp failure?

Posts about stereos, speakers, sat nav etc and posts about car alarms or car security.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Jimbo3176

Causes of amp failure?

Post by Jimbo3176 »

I recently had to have my rear left wing replaced due to a small dent.. the company who did the work have done a nice job so I am happy with that, but.. when I picked up my car they left my subs (behind the seats) disconnected..

I returned with my car and asked them to connect it up again as I thought that this was strange and my insurance company told me it is their reponsibility to give the car back to me with everything as it was.

Upon wiring up the subs (which is a 30 second job) there was no sound.. and it was then discovered that the amp fuse had blown. The fuse was replaced twice and blew each time.

Immediately the chap starts trying to hint at the amp not working before they even laid a finger on my car.. and even held up the fuse to me and said "look at that, it looks like it was blown a long time ago"... he then had the cheek to ask me "did this amp ever work?"..

The other speakers all work.. its just the subs.

Sorry for long boring story but I guess what I am asking is what could they have possibly done to short circuit (if thats the right word) the amp?.. one thing I should mention is that the amp is screwed under the passanger seat.. so its very close to where some of the welding would have been done.. and they did not remove it, or even disconnect it.

I have left my car with them again and I am pretty confident I am going to get a call back with some lame reason as to why its not their fault so I would like to be prepared.

Thanks for any advice
Sidewinder

Re: Causes of amp failure?

Post by Sidewinder »

First off, I'd want to know why they disconnected the amp/subs!

Have you checked the electrical wiring to your amp?
Mk2 NA Rev1 -*- Mk2 Turbo Rev2 -*- Mk1 NA -*- Mk2 Turbo Rev 3 = all gone!

Re: Causes of amp failure?

Post by Jimbo3176 »

I 'think' it was because they needed to get behind the carpet area behind to where part of the rear wing was joined.. so they would have needed to take at least one of the subs out.

2 days now and they havent yet called me back.

As for wiring.. I literally know next to nothing.. I had it all fitted for me.

I called a local car audio shop and they informed me that if they were welding that close to the amp they should have removed it as a precaution as it can cause a power surge.

I guess bottom line is.. I, and several other people can say it was working before they had my car.. they cant tell me it was working when they finished because they did not wire it back up.
skytek

amp

Post by skytek »

Sorry to hijack your thread, but how do you access the fuse in the amp? I can see the amp behind the passenger seat when I peel back the covering but it's in an awkward place to access. Do I remove the speaker that sits infront of it? How do I actually ge to the fuse to change it?

Thanks.

Return to “ICE and Security”