Which fecking cams?

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

JAP BOY

Re: Which fecking cams?

Post by JAP BOY »

JJ wrote:
JAP BOY wrote:Out of curiosity what gains can be acheived by doing came as ive seen some on fensport for the NAs

Hmmmm .. on a normally aspirated.. I managed and increase of 15 bhp peak on a celica I once had ( 3SGE powered ! ) Torque had increased.

Good improvement but not worth the cost... simply too much. These cars are well engineered in the first place which always reduces the amount of improvements its made over stock.

Not thought of a Power FC for the normally aspirated ??? they're rare, but available. A programmable ems will churn out more power than doing mechanical mods and stock ems.

:wink:
jj sorry for being thick EMS?? i'm a new comer
JJ

Post by JJ »

jj sorry for being thick EMS?? i'm a new comer

Sorry fellar, Engine Management System !!

Theres a few plug and PRAY units out there that yield improved performance ! :wink:
|| S256SX Airwerks Powered MR2 Turbo || V10 BMW M5 ||
steve b

Post by steve b »

got my car back today,... turbo lag,.. whats that?? 222lbs at the wheels by 3000rpm turbo spool from 2500rpm.

Exhaust cam shaft timing was the key i was told, also made the car run generally 'better'. So its worth getting vernier pullies for your stock camshafts :D
'02 VX220 2.2 n/a Daily driver - Exige Size TD 1.2 - TAT shorty Diffuser - HardTop - Chris Tullet 4-1 Manifold.

'97 mk1 Mazda Eunos Turbo track car with 260bhp/ton - soon more as Chris Wilsons going to build me an engine over the winter :o) .
MR2Mania

Post by MR2Mania »

steve b wrote:got my car back today,... turbo lag,.. whats that?? 222lbs at the wheels by 3000rpm turbo spool from 2500rpm.

Exhaust cam shaft timing was the key i was told, also made the car run generally 'better'. So its worth getting vernier pullies for your stock camshafts :D

Nice one! :-)

Is that with a stock CT26 turbo? Do you know which way he swung the exhaust cam? I'm guessing it was retarded?
steve b

Post by steve b »

yep stock ct26 :D no boost control just natural gain from a APEXI Hayabusa :D and the cam adjustment
don't know which way they were adjusted, what i'll do is remove the cover and take a pic in the next few days :)
'02 VX220 2.2 n/a Daily driver - Exige Size TD 1.2 - TAT shorty Diffuser - HardTop - Chris Tullet 4-1 Manifold.

'97 mk1 Mazda Eunos Turbo track car with 260bhp/ton - soon more as Chris Wilsons going to build me an engine over the winter :o) .
MR2Mania

Post by MR2Mania »

steve b wrote:yep stock ct26 :D no boost control just natural gain from a APEXI Hayabusa :D and the cam adjustment
don't know which way they were adjusted, what i'll do is remove the cover and take a pic in the next few days :)

I wouldn't have thought you'd be able to tell much from looking at the cams. Have you not got degree marks on the vernier pullies? In which case you could see which way either were swung, and by home much.
steve b

Post by steve b »

yes thats what i mean by take the cover off, cambelt cover, photo the pullys :D

MR2Mania

Post by MR2Mania »

steve b wrote:yes thats what i mean by take the cover off, cambelt cover, photo the pullys :D

Doh! Sorry, mate. Thought you meant the cam cover (I'll sit back down now...) :-)
Jimbob

Re-profiling the cams

Post by Jimbob »

By re-profiling does this mean you would skim a small amount of the cam lobe tips to make them longer duration and then lower them down on the shims a bit? I presume you'd have to have them hardened again?
Fizzy

Post by Fizzy »

OR JUST TAKE IT OFF!!
steve b

Post by steve b »

ok heres some pics of my pullies, they are just a tad dificult to see, the exhaust pully is easy but i could only get some of the scale of the inlet pully, can still be worked out though.

inlet pully
looks like a 4 degree advance

exhaust pully
looks to be 8 degree retardation

hope this helps people,

Steve B

Return to “Modifications”