NA Mk2 Engine problems

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

dai21t

NA Mk2 Engine problems

Post by dai21t »

Can anyone help? My mate has fitted a replacement engine to his rev1 MK2, 1992 UK model. Problem he has is if you try and rev it up quickly it'll do it ok for a minute or 2 then start bogging down and cut out, but if you build the revs slowly it works ok. We've checked all connections, seem ok, tried changing fuel pressure regulator, throttle position switch, spark plugs, distributor, checked the cam belt and now we're stumped. Any help would be appreciated. :(
Tony jinxy froude

Re: NA Mk2 Engine problems

Post by Tony jinxy froude »

sounds very much like a fuel starvation problem to me, has he looked at the fuel filter ? what about fuel pump ? a bogged up fuel filter will certainly cause the symptoms youve described also a poorly fuel pump will do pretty much the same thing allowing a trickle of fuel past, but when more is needed it cant cope, causing starvation, also see if you can follow the fuel lines back to the point at which they disapear under the car and make sure they're not trapped on anything or have sharp bends restricting flow, when changing engines these things can easily happen, one last thing to check and this may sound very off the mark, but when he jacked the car up did he use a long plank of wood to spread the load forward of the engine ??, if so make sure that he has not crushed the metal fuel lines that run along the underside of the car under the passenger side, i think thats enough to be getting on with, hope this helps, let us know how you get on, cheers, Jinxy
dai21t

Re: NA Mk2 Engine problems

Post by dai21t »

Thanks for the reply, will check that later and let you know how I get on.

Return to “Mechanical”