Aftermarket Traction Control

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Jimbob

Aftermarket Traction Control

Post by Jimbob »

Does anyone know of an aftermarket supplier of traction control?

I have TC fitted as standard but would like to get a bigger throttle body. Im sure i've heard of people using them..........is it RC or something?

Failing that its onto thre lathe!!

Cheers
michael

Re: Aftermarket Traction Control

Post by michael »

Racelogic
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

michael wrote:Racelogic

you know he's right :D
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Looked at their site £645 for a basic kit.............i'll make do with standard :wink:
michael

Post by michael »

You'll probably find that you can shave a couple of hundred quid off that price if you buy elsewhere.
ryan

Post by ryan »

I have the Racelogic TC. With fitting it came to 1100 quid. It is excellent, though it can be overcome if youre a complete fool. I lifted off mid corner and nearly lost the back end as the TC doesn't work if you haven got your foot on the throttle. I got straight back on the gas and it straightened up fine, helped by the TC I guess. It does give you the confidence to floor it and get cleanly out of junctions especially in the wet.

There are 5 settings which are Wet, Dry, and 10% 15% 20% slide. I think the newer ones have other settings as well, and there is optional launch control!
michael

Post by michael »

By comparison Vortex had an offer recently:

£600 including fitting for the full system with launch control or £550 without.

They only had 4 units at that price but it gives you an idea that shopping around is beneficial.
Sidewinder

Post by Sidewinder »

ryan wrote:I have the Racelogic TC. With fitting it came to 1100 quid. It is excellent, though it can be overcome if youre a complete fool. I lifted off mid corner and nearly lost the back end as the TC doesn't work if you haven got your foot on the throttle. I got straight back on the gas and it straightened up fine, helped by the TC I guess. It does give you the confidence to floor it and get cleanly out of junctions especially in the wet.

There are 5 settings which are Wet, Dry, and 10% 15% 20% slide. I think the newer ones have other settings as well, and there is optional launch control!

Apart from the five settings, how does your after-market TC compare to the standard Toyota one?
Mk2 NA Rev1 -*- Mk2 Turbo Rev2 -*- Mk1 NA -*- Mk2 Turbo Rev 3 = all gone!

Post by ryan »

I don't know as i've never had the Toyota TC. I know Rogue has it on his car. I think its a pretty harsh system that may hamper launches in particular, just from what i've heard mind, Patrick at Rogue may give you a better account.
Oh, nige i've posted a pic of the Din plate at day in the original thread.

Ryan 8)
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

The standard toyota one is ok.

Patricks car is a lot beefier than mine so I cant speak for tuned cars (yet)

Its pretty harsh on launch but stops spinning the wheels well. You can feel the restiction in airflow as the extra butterfly in the throttle body assembly closes. Not sure how much it does close, but presumably its proportional to the amount of restriction required to stop spinning rather than a cut.

At higher speeds its a different story. When belting through a corner on the gas and you see a orange light start flashing its a bit nervy, it tends to promote understeer as a colleague of mine amply demonstrated to me. :shock: . Basically as your cutting the power (to the rears) and going in fast the rears stop sliding and the front has to do more steering, this will give the feeling and sometimes the outcome of more understeer. I'm no handling expert (although I did some silly things at uni sending a car round a track and simulating bump steer, hitting ice gradually tigthening bends and all sorts......that waqs fun but my car always crashed :lol: ) Im suresomeone else like lauren can explain it better than me............after all she is the trackday queen :wink:

Its ok but quite a small diameter thats the only reason I considered changing it (consideration over).
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Jimbob wrote:
At higher speeds its a different story. When belting through a corner on the gas and you see a orange light start flashing its a bit nervy, it tends to promote understeer as a colleague of mine amply demonstrated to me. :shock: . Basically as your cutting the power (to the rears) and going in fast the rears stop sliding and the front has to do more steering, this will give the feeling and sometimes the outcome of more understeer. I'm no handling expert (although I did some silly things at uni sending a car round a track and simulating bump steer, hitting ice gradually tigthening bends and all sorts......that waqs fun but my car always crashed :lol: ) Im suresomeone else like lauren can explain it better than me............after all she is the trackday queen :wink:

actually understeer will result if you enter a corner too quickly, if the car starts to oversteer then the tc will cut the throttle thus not allowing you to balance the car on the throttle and inducing understeer as the extra speed has to go somewhere.

I must admit i'm no great fan of TC or stability control in particular. In fact back in June i had to race an RX8 with all the nannying systems on, ie ABS, TC & stability control. The TC was actually the least interfering as it allowed me to get a good start off the line, could have done with disabling it thereafter though. Stability control and ABS were much worse though, luckily you don't have stability control on the MR2! ABS is fine on the roads but absolute crap on track.

I would really suggest that you learn to use your right foot as your own form of traction control as in practice it is far more sensitive and useful than a TC system, particularly so when cornering at speed. Off the line TC is easier for sure, but after that it has no use IMO.
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

It's a good job mr toyota put a switch on the dash then :wink:

C I knew Lauren would correct me, and I have to agree, although it can also aid driving bufoons like me, and hopefully I can then keep to the black.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Jimbob wrote:It's a good job mr toyota put a switch on the dash then :wink:

C I knew Lauren would correct me, and I have to agree, although it can also aid driving bufoons like me, and hopefully I can then keep to the black.

:thumright:
Sidewinder

Post by Sidewinder »

ryan wrote:I don't know as i've never had the Toyota TC. I know Rogue has it on his car.

Ah! Which one? I've just bought one of his MR2s that had TC on it... :)
Mk2 NA Rev1 -*- Mk2 Turbo Rev2 -*- Mk1 NA -*- Mk2 Turbo Rev 3 = all gone!

Post by Rowland »

Nige wrote:
ryan wrote:I don't know as i've never had the Toyota TC. I know Rogue has it on his car.

Ah! Which one? I've just bought one of his MR2s that had TC on it... :)

IIRC both MR2's of Patricks had T/C mate 8)
MR2Mania

Post by MR2Mania »

Lauren wrote: Stability control and ABS were much worse though, luckily you don't have stability control on the MR2! ABS is fine on the roads but absolute crap on track.

Actually, it seems that the MR2s with TC as stock do indeed have stability control (that's why you see those cars also have EBD - Electronic Brake Distribution). If that EBD is used to brake a given wheel during TC operation, then yes, it does have stability control.

Incidentally, did you know that all MoTeCs had an option for TC? It's not easy to set up, though, as it needs Hall sensors rather than the stock magnetic wheel speed sensors, but this hasn't stopped me! ;) When I've got it up and running, I'll let you know how it fairs. I used to have Racelogic on my car, but sold it when I bought the MoTeC. The Racelogic TC was very good, though, and I'd go as far as saying that it's probably more suited to a spirited driver than the stock TC (although I'm making this judgement without having driven a stock TC car - I'm just going off the comments of people that do have it on theirs).
MR2Mania

Post by MR2Mania »

Incidentally, the issue with replacing the stock TC with an aftermarket system is what you do with the EBD. By fitting another system, will the EBD still be getting the right signals to do it's job, and will it work well with the aftermarket TC? Or is it better off disabling the EBD? These are things that I'll find out sooner or later, as a good friend of mine with TC and EBD is considering using a MoTeC, so we'll be sure to play with all the options.

Return to “Modifications”