Earth location

Posts about stereos, speakers, sat nav etc and posts about car alarms or car security.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Weenster

Earth location

Post by Weenster »

I currently have my amp located under the bonnet and recently have noticed that I seem to be having a lot of interference, I have tried a couple of earth points and resulted to earthing of the battery is this the best place or would anyone suggest a better location.

I still even getting interference when the amp/radio is not even on, never used to get this so perhaps it could be a bad earth connection, failing this it might have to be a suppressor.

Thanks
Ian
Shmed

Re: Earth location

Post by Shmed »

Whne you say interference, do you mean the high pitched whine that matches engine revs? I've never heard of it to happen with the radio off, so would suggest it isn't coming from the speakers. I have a whine, but it's from the gearbox (I think). :?: :?: :?:
January 2014
..the only thing I can promise for sure is slow progress.

May 2015
just have this niggling thought that if I rip out the wiring, then the car will never get out of the garage again.

Still in the garage...
Weenster

Post by Weenster »

Thanks for the input,

The sound is coming from the speakers and it is picking up the power steering motor, believe it or not it is still there when the amp/head unit is turned off, and with the engine off (ignition lights on) :cry:

With the amp turned off I have disconnected the terminals one by one on the amp and the only one that stops this sound is by removing the power lead from the amp. :cry:

I have also tried to connect the earth and power leads to another cars battery and I get no interference at all, so I believe that it is not the speaker cable picking up interference. :lol:

Hope this helps and dosent confuse things. :?

Ian
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

This seems odd :?
So you're saying that even with all the speaker terminals disconnected from the amp, the interference is coming from the speakers?
Also, the power steering pump is driven by the engine and doesn't do anything with the engine off. My P/s pump whines when the engine is on.
January 2014

May 2015
just have this niggling thought that if I rip out the wiring, then the car will never get out of the garage again.

Still in the garage...
Weenster

Post by Weenster »

Sorry for the confusion, what I meant to say is as follows:
With my ignition lights on my rev 2 tubby, (engine not running) the electronic power steering motor starts and even though the head unit and amp are turned off, you can here a whistle that gets louder when you turn the wheel.(defiantly from the speakers and not the pump motor)
If I disconnect the earth or the remote lead to the amp the noise is still there but if I disconnect the power lead then the noise goes.(with the amp turned off)

I was worried that it might be either my phono leads or speakers cable picking up the noise so to try and eliminate these,
I connected the power and earth of the amp to another battery and the noise is gone, it is so annoying that it was working fine for two weeks but the noise has just appeared, I'm hoping that this is just a bad earth.

Ian
Vindezal

Post by Vindezal »

Paul 'Shmed' Medway wrote:This seems odd :?
So you're saying that even with all the speaker terminals disconnected from the amp, the interference is coming from the speakers?
Also, the power steering pump is driven by the engine and doesn't do anything with the engine off. My P/s pump whines when the engine is on.

Yes it does whine, but for a minuit. when not in use it turns its self off. same as when ignition is clicked on without engine running.
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

Aaaah, I stand corrected. Not use to having electric PAS. :oops:
January 2014

May 2015

Still in the garage...
ChrisOakley

Post by ChrisOakley »

I have exactly the same problem.

I have the PAS Whine, but only when the engine is running. Originally I did have it with the engine off and ignition lights on but it disappeared when I removed the dodgy install of the imobiliser that the previous owner had put in.

Still have the whine and also the engine rev noise too.

It's a mare and I cannot figure it out. I can only assume there is a bad earth on the active amp or a dodgy install of the aftermarket alarm system that the previous owner put in.

Sigh!

I'm not going to rest until I've sorted it so I'll keep you posted with any info.
Weenster

Post by Weenster »

Please let me know how you get on as I have still got the problem.

Thanks
Ian
simmo490

Post by simmo490 »

i have the exact same problem so today i had a look, i am running a jvc head unit with everything else standard, when i turn it off there is a hell of a whining coming from speakers, now what i did was connect the amp power wire (red) with the arial wire (green) and then connected them to the blue remote wire coming from the head unit, problem solved, hope this helps, dave
axisofunity

Post by axisofunity »

I have the same problem.....

I have a DVD system mounted in the boot and I get a whine that matches the engine revs. It's a nightmare at about 20-30mph, on the motorway it's just bearable, but pretty crap.

With engine off, there's no problem.

I can't figure it out, I don't have PAS, airbags, or much fancy electronic stuff.... So can someone help me figure it out?

DVD in boot ->> Sony HEadunit + 2 TFTs
Alpine Changer --> Alpine AMP --> Sony Headunit
Thatcham Alarm.

1990 NA 2ltr.
simmo490

Post by simmo490 »

well i posted a reply on a way to cure it but this may not be the case for all, my father had the same problem and it all boils down to the "active system" (amp in pillar) this is the standard toyota amp, i tink best way it to cut all wiring from all audio and start again, excluding the standard amp, all you need is a +ve wire from battery, -ve wire from earth, +ve switched wire from ignition barrel and a +ve wire comming from something like the instrument pannel lighting, then re do all your speaker wires by passing the standard amp, dave
ChrisOakley

Post by ChrisOakley »

I'm working on a case of elimination now and thought I would power the amp direct from the battery.

No Joy!

Grounded direct to the battery.

No Joy!

Trying alternate earthing techniques.

No Joy!

There seems to be a braided shield around all the speaker wires and when that is grounded it get's rid of the noise by about 75% but that's still not enough.

There must be a way of getting rid of this PAS noise at source. I would like to see the amp properly but it's not located in an ideal position.

Still working on it...... :?
simmo490

Post by simmo490 »

that braided sheild it to stop the magnetic flux from escaping the wire thus creating interferance with the other wires, you are right this would help when you ground them, also try mooving you amp power cable from the others or creating a shield your self, something like tin foil, i know this is very rough but it will give u an idea, like i say my suggestion is to make all new wiring your s3elf excluding toyota amp.
ChrisOakley

Post by ChrisOakley »

Cheers,

I wondered today if the hack work the previous owner had done installing the immobiliser (which I've now removed as it was crap) has caused this problem.

Just thinking because he had cut into the ignition wires under the barrel and put in the immobiliser ones. I've now desoldered and rejoined, but as the problem only happens when engine is running I wondered if some interference is leaking here.

Probably not but has anyone else who has this problem got some kind of hack work on their ignition line?

Return to “ICE and Security”