Theres a place and a time...

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Blue_5

Theres a place and a time...

Post by Blue_5 »

Evening all,

Was out driving to a family party yesterday afternoon, happened upon a lovely Ferrari 575, being driven as it was intended to by the creators, V12 singing at the top of its voice...you know the score.

Now usually i would have come over all gooey at the sight...but not this time.Why?

Well because as he came around a tightish blind bend, (this is in a 30mph zone btw) next to a park being used by loads of children out because of the nice weather, he was going so fast ( estimate about 60mph!) he swung the back end out, barely managing to catch it (im no expert, but it didnt look like he had TC on!) and just managed to avoid going into the path of the car in front, carrying my mum, sister, her B/F and my 2 year old niece. Then sped off past the park, could still hear him after I went round the bend.

The guy was driving like a show-off twit whos just past his test.

just wish people like him would realise how much responsibility comes with owning a high performance car like that. i love seeing a car and driver pushing the limits, but not at risk to others. If he wants to drive like hes in a car chase, then either join the film industry or go on a track. Or at the very least, make sure that when he does run out of talent he doesnt take innocent people with him! Im not perfect, ive sped, probably taken the odd risk or two but this took the p155!

Ok rant over. Lovely car...shame about the driver!
Mikejc

Re: Theres a place and a time...

Post by Mikejc »

I'm with you on this =D>

Mikejc
stevenb

Post by stevenb »

It's an image thing. Saw a chap few weeks back in his 355. On his mobile and going around the roundabout.....he obviously has every right to do this because he owns a Ferrari...they have different Highway code booklets to us commoners....NOT :x :lol:
top_gear_towers

Post by top_gear_towers »

I know what you mean. Last night I was sat next to a silver mondeo in my RX7 at some lights. There was this cute little boy in the back (no seatbelt) and was peering over the window and smiling at my girlfriend. Mum and dad were in the front (dad driving) and they both smiled when they realised their son was pointing at 'the noisy car'.

Lights go green and the Mondeo shoots off, we're joining a short dual carriageway, and he goes nuts. Weaves down three lanes, then back up through the traffic before screeching to a halt at the lights at the end of the road.

I didn't even boost the first turbo (2.5K) I just let him get on with it - but it took the wind out of me (honestly) as he was weaving around fast traffic with his wife and little boy in the car...what's wrong with people?

Post by Guest »

...they don't get blown by twins most days.

I think these days people feel far too safe in their cars. I feel vulnerably in my Mk1 - it's old and probably wouldn't survive any kind of crash well - and on the roads I drive it like that.

The Rex is too expensive to risk crashing - so I pootle along (usually) enjoying the sound of the engine while listening to the petrol being slurped.

For others though in their Volvo's, Renaults and silly big 4wd ATAT things perhaps they think it won't happen to them - and if it does they're safe anyway.

Cheers,
Si.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

SiCook wrote:...they don't get blown by twins most days.

I think these days people feel far too safe in their cars. I feel vulnerably in my Mk1 - it's old and probably wouldn't survive any kind of crash well - and on the roads I drive it like that.

The Rex is too expensive to risk crashing - so I pootle along (usually) enjoying the sound of the engine while listening to the petrol being slurped.

For others though in their Volvo's, Renaults and silly big 4wd ATAT things perhaps they think it won't happen to them - and if it does they're safe anyway.

Cheers,
Si.

Si, MK1s stand up surprisingly well to crashes and impacts. Mark and I know this very well. They are actually very strong no doubt due to having 5 bulkheads rather than the 3 of most cars. I have to say that if i had hit that lampost in a front engined car i would have likely injured my legs at least.

About the only weak area crash wise is a side impact, but in saying that i would reckon a 4 seater is weaker due to not having a bulkhead at either end of the front doors.

Post by Guest »

Lauren,
Hi. That's reassuring to hear. I remember seeing the photos of your Mk1 and thinking "...bet she's relieved the engine's behind her.".

I had assumed the car would be weaker because it's an older car and having seen assorted crash tests between old and new cars - the old ones seemed to come off worse....or... <cynic> perhaps they were trying to sell new cars to everyone </cynic>.

I'll still drive on the roads like Miss Daisy though (c: (....who is/was Miss Daisy - and how does/did she drive?).

Cheers,
Si.

Return to “Driving Experiences”