AVC-r probs again! Self learning

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

ryan

AVC-r probs again! Self learning

Post by ryan »

For some reason the AVC-r keeps self learning the duty cycle too low. The duty is at 52% for the 0.85kg/cm setting , but at the 1.15kg/cm setting the car self learns to 52%, but this is not adequate because the car will not boost to 1.15 at this % so I have to manually put the duty up to 62% every so often. Is it because i'm selecting the different settings (ie A and B ) while i'm on the move? Should I be doing this?
The car only just makes 1.05kg/cm at the 52% duty, and when I put it to 62% it easily makes the 1.15 boost.
Anybody got any answers? :cry:
Thanks
Ryan
steve b

Re: AVC-r probs again! Self learning

Post by steve b »

I got so pisseed off with mine doing this i removed it and had the car unichipped instead....
'02 VX220 2.2 n/a Daily driver - Exige Size TD 1.2 - TAT shorty Diffuser - HardTop - Chris Tullet 4-1 Manifold.

'97 mk1 Mazda Eunos Turbo track car with 260bhp/ton - soon more as Chris Wilsons going to build me an engine over the winter :o) .
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

steve b wrote:I got so pisseed off with mine doing this i removed it and had the car unichipped instead....

Unichips though don't do any clever feedback of boost levels - they just do a fixed duty cycle across all revs - so when its colder and air is 'denser' you get more boost than in the summer :?

AVC-Rs are much more tricky to setup properly, but when its done they're really good.
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Was having the same problem with my AVCr :cry:

Are you running gear learn as well?

Try using gear learn, as if you boot your car a lot in lower gears it tends to need less duty than the higher gears, so when you boot it in a high gear.............not enough boost cos its learnt in the low gears and vica versa (ISH :? )

My speedo is tempermental at the moment so I can't do this but in low gears I get steady accurate boost. In fifth its up and down and generally higher.

I'm using 42-52% through the revs dipping at 4500rpm at 0.7 bar, and 67-80% at 0.90 bar peaking at 6000rpm.

i'll take a snap of my avcr maps n e-mail if ya like. Can't wait to get the gt28 on and play some more
shafster

Post by shafster »

i thought with any ebc you are not supposed to run it in learning mode on the mr2.... it just wont have it. you have to program it manually.
MR2Mania

Post by MR2Mania »

Jimbob wrote:Try using gear learn, as if you boot your car a lot in lower gears it tends to need less duty than the higher gears, so when you boot it in a high gear.............not enough boost cos its learnt in the low gears and vica versa (ISH :? )

Actually, it's the other way around - you need more duty cycle in the lower gears, hence why I had something like +10% start duty for 1st, and +4% for 2nd.

Set up gear learning ONLY in 4th and 5th, and maybe 3rd if it's not too far off the boost in the higher gears.
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

realised that once i'd posted it................dohh! :oops:
ryan

Post by ryan »

Not sure if learn in gear is on. Don't really know how it works! I do use it a lot a low speeds so perhaps i'll just have to put up with it? :?
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

Ryan, worth re-reading the AVC-R manuals and info sheets again.

I'd suggest what you need to do is increase the inital bost duty cycle (as Dino says) to give you more boost. I'd turn off learning in the first few gears too - the display should show "XXXXX"

The AVCR when its set up properly is an excellent bit of kit - it took me nearly 12 months to get the ideal setup for my car and its mods, but I'm realy happy with it at the moment.
ryan

Post by ryan »

Ben, Dino, thanks for the advice. I've read through the manual, but its all a bit confusing. What sort of duties should I be entering roughly in what gears, to stop the self learning coming in?
Many thanks
Ryan
MR2Mania

Post by MR2Mania »

ryan wrote:Ben, Dino, thanks for the advice. I've read through the manual, but its all a bit confusing. What sort of duties should I be entering roughly in what gears, to stop the self learning coming in?
Many thanks
Ryan

Ryan, once you get to the screen that lets you control which gears self-learning works in, you'll see what we mean. Ideally, self-learning should only be in 4th and 5th, so that you've got "XXX00" in the display. Take a look at this:

You can get the manual from here:
http://www.apexi-usa.com/productdocumen ... cr_ins.pdf

Don't worry about start duties for 1st, 2nd and 3rd until the boost is doing what it should be in 4th and 5th.
ryan

Post by ryan »

Ahh, I see hat you mean now! Thanks a lot for that, so all i need to do is put self learn onto 4, 5th and just make sure the car is boosting to what it should in 4th and 5th by altering the duty accordingly :?
MR2Mania

Post by MR2Mania »

ryan wrote:Ahh, I see hat you mean now! Thanks a lot for that, so all i need to do is put self learn onto 4, 5th and just make sure the car is boosting to what it should in 4th and 5th by altering the duty accordingly :?

That's the one! ;)

Return to “Modifications”