A new noise since new caliper fitted.. help!

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

ryan

A new noise since new caliper fitted.. help!

Post by ryan »

Since having the new front passenger caliper fitted i've noticed a 'clunk' when braking coming from the wheels where the new caliper is fitted. It seems like it could be a loose brake pad in the housing of the caliper. The pads ar pagid fast road and the caliper is a brakes international 'Budweg' std replacement. The clunk is more occurant when turning the wheels under braking, and it can be felt through the steering wheel.
Any ideas?
I hope it isn't the pads moving under braking, they should fit ok shouldn't they?
Hmmmm
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Re: A new noise since new caliper fitted.. help!

Post by Lauren »

Checking everything is tight would probably be a good idea.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Are all of the pad spring clips in place and located properly?
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

ryan wrote:
I hope it isn't the pads moving under braking, they should fit ok shouldn't they?
Hmmmm

Ryan - it could be that the pads are moving around in the calipers a bit - Toyota sell an Anti Squeal shim kit for the Mk2 which also includes shims you can put under the springs to make the fit with the pads better.

I'd double check though that you've got everything torqued up properly - it could be a loose caliper bolt, sliding pin without bushing, or loose wheel nuts ..
shish

Post by shish »

one thing to remember here is the pad location/fit has nothing to do with the actual caliper. So if it's clunking now the new caliper is on then it's probably the caliper (unless you changed the pads at the same time)

Check that there is no vertical play in the caliper and check the bolts that hold the caliper to the bracket and that it only slides smoothly back and forth on the pins.

Pads should feel like they clip into place, not too tight that you have to bang them in and not so loose they just rattle around in the bracket or fall out.

shish
ryan

Post by ryan »

Hi people.
Got the cr checked at Mr T. They have greased up the contact area between the piston and pad and it was ok for 2 days, but its back! I spoke to the bloke who looked at it that day and he said that the shims are missing and that the locating springs are missing from the one caliper. The pads are pagid fast road. I had a pair fitted before I got the new caliper and didn't have the problem so i'm assuming its either the shims or springs? What the hell are shims??
:?
shish

Post by shish »

shims are a thin stainless steel plate that fits to the back of the pad to stop brake squeal

the springs are only used on the front pads and help seperate the pads when there is no brake pressure there

i dont see why either of these would cause (or indeed fix) a 'clunk'
reggie

Post by reggie »

I would suggest that you pull the thing apart yourself and take a look at all of the parts to see where the noise could be coming from. It's a very easy process to take these off and on. If the shims are missing, I would suggest that these are put back in anyway as they should be cheap items.

I'm interested about the 'locating springs'. If these are the plates that hold the pad in place, they could be the source of your problems. If this were the case, I would have expected MrT to have supplied the parts and fitted them but you never know.

I presume we are talking about a single knock each time the brakes are pressed rather than a repeating knock for each revolution of the wheel.
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

reggie wrote:If the shims are missing, I would suggest that these are put back in anyway as they should be cheap items.

They're not cheap at all, not sure if only Mr T sells them or not, but from Mr T apparently they're around £13 per front wheel, and a tenner per rear wheel :(

reggie wrote:I'm interested about the 'locating springs'. If these are the plates that hold the pad in place, they could be the source of your problems.

They're Y shaped pieces of metal that push the pads away from the disc.
ryan

Post by ryan »

Yes it is a single clunk when braking, mainly when braking hard though. The technician said the locating springs were missing off the offending side, but shims were missing off both fronts. I guess in a process of elimination, it will be those locating springs I need.
Thanks for all your help guys, really appreciate it!
shish

Post by shish »

well tbh i cant see why the springs would stop a clunk and as for the shims in 7 years of owning mk1s i have always removed them and never had a problem.

i guess the spring is worth a try, least it wont cost much!

let us know how you get on
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

3rd post from the top i posted this...

Are all of the pad spring clips in place and located properly?

that was ignored and the car taken to toyota to be told the spring clips are missing.......what?
ryan

Post by ryan »

Yes, I guess I should hve been told about his when the car went in originally to have the pads and caliper fitted. Hmmm
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

just re-read the posts,theres a lot of confusion here,theres two spring clips on each caliper,those that the pad actually locate into and hold the pad firmly in place to stop them rattling about (your original symptom and my first post query) then theres two spring clips that locate on the edge of each pad that help lift the pads away from the disc face when not braking,the two types of clip do entirely different jobs.

If the pad locating spring clips are missing that will 100% cause your clunk.

Return to “Mechanical”