Gripper LSD for mk1 supercharger and rev1 turbo

Forum For IMOC Group Buys

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

dr_wilkinson

Gripper LSD for mk1 supercharger and rev1 turbo

Post by dr_wilkinson »

I have been chatting with D.R. Engineering about manufacturing a batch of Gripper diffs for the mk1 supercharger / mk2 rev1 turbo gearboxes. I approached this particular company after much research looking into the varying types of differential unit available / suitable to rwd applications.  Most current LSD / ATB units are not set up for track use only or road only & will always be a compromise in either situation. I was looking for a unit which could be tailored to suit either the track or road & not be a compromise; this unit seems to fit the bill nicely.

Gripper diffs are based on the reliable multiplate (LSD) design, which have had proven success in track and rally stage competition. The specific advantage the gripper differential unit has over other types currently available is the ability to personalise its action with different ramp angles depending on your requirements.  This is important in its specification as it allows the user to fine tune the action of the unit to either a 1, 1.5 or 2 way set up.

I have managed to arrange a special price for the first multiple purchase. D.R. Engineering are willing to offer these differentials at £550 each – the normal cost will be £800 based on individual inquiries, so there’s quite a saving to be had.

Further details of the product can be found at http://www.racecar.co.uk/gripper; however if you want any information then please ask/post on here so everyone can stay informed.

firstmk1

Re: Gripper LSD for mk1 supercharger and rev1 turbo

Post by firstmk1 »

I bet quite a few mk1.5 owners would be interested in this.
dr_wilkinson

Post by dr_wilkinson »

I'm amazed there's been no response to this... surely there must be more people out there who want a decent diff for their cars?!

This unit is of the same, if not better, quality as a Kaaz unit, with the unquestionable added bonus of being 100% UK manufactured and supported. If you'vwe got any probs or want a rebuild the manufacturer is only in Coventry...
Speedy

Post by Speedy »

How many people do you need, and when?
tonigmr2 wrote:Fear me, for I am watching :clown:
dr_wilkinson

Post by dr_wilkinson »

The price is based on 2 or more diffs being ordered.

If initial demand is one unit, only one will be produced. If initial demand is for 2 or more then 5 will be produced and any unsold items kept as stock items.

The special price only applies to diffs ordered in the initial group purchase...

Timescale-wise, I'd like to have an order in by early March (if only my car were on the road by then!)
Speedy

Post by Speedy »

Having seen it attempted, LSD change on E51 gearbox is a utter PITA. Lauren & Shish say that you can get it out easy, but I haven't worked out how (or don't have access to their magic transporter). You need to get the 5th gear cover off, remove all of the 5th gear mechanism, then release the plate below it, then you can remove a circlip, and then you can slide one half of the gearbox casing off.

Once thats off, then you need to remove a couple of things to get into the diff (oil pump drive, reverse idler), and then (IIRC) the manual says you can get at the diff in order to swap it.

I had a gearbox person look at it for my spare E51, but ended up rounding off bolts which now need extracting etc.. so not simple :'(

Having said all of that, I would be interested, although I would probably only have the money in April due to other commitments.
tonigmr2 wrote:Fear me, for I am watching :clown:
dr_wilkinson

Post by dr_wilkinson »

It's a good job I like a challenge - I'd be well and truly put off by that description otherwise!

I can wait until April - it's probably going to be a fairly long project I'm on so time is not exactly of the essence (although it would be nice to try the gearbox and diff out in the 20v this season) :wink:

Return to “Group Buys - MR2 related”