Time to replace this clutch?

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Paul R

Time to replace this clutch?

Post by Paul R »

Hi,

I've got my clutch off today - Do you think it's worth replacing?? The date on the clutch is 2002, so it's only 2 years old. I'm not sure how thick the plate is when it's new??

does my one look worn?

www.pradbone.f2s.com/car%20build/DSCF0088.JPG

Cheers,

Paul.
W0mbat

pffft

Post by W0mbat »

i'm no expert but it looks pretty f**ked to me!
Jayng

Re: Time to replace this clutch?

Post by Jayng »

Hi Paul,

Your clutch has a little bit of life left but since you`ve gone through all that effort of taking the box out I recommend that you replace it.

You don`t really need to look at the plate to tell you whether there is life left in the clutch. What was the clutch pedal feel like before you took the box out?? Medium to high biting point means that there isn`t much life left and a heavyish pedal feel is also an indicator of worn clutch.
You`ll be shocked when you try out a new one as it`s so much lighter pedal feel and the car is noticeably quicker!!

BTW if you`re willing to spend the extra cash, get the flywheel re-skimmed and balanced before replacing with new clutch kit. Torque the bolts to spec and use a bonding agent specific for bolt threads.

Don`t skimp on the bearing and pressure plate as you know now that getting that box out isn`t the easiest of jobs on the tubby so you might as well do it properly now that you have the chance. I actually thought that dropping the engine and box together was less stressful!
Jayng

Post by Jayng »

Hi Paul,

Didn`t see your other post and that you have removed the engine!!

I did my engine drop in the comfort of a double garage and it seems that you have done it outside. I`m not in the UK at the mo, but from memory it should be ball shrinking cold right now!!!

Paul, I salute you.

Just wait until you put that engine back in!! I put mine off for nearly a year and it took a good mate to give me a kick up the ar$e to get on with it.

Good luck with the rest of the job.
Paul R

Post by Paul R »

Jayng wrote:Hi Paul,

Didn`t see your other post and that you have removed the engine!!

I did my engine drop in the comfort of a double garage and it seems that you have done it outside. I`m not in the UK at the mo, but from memory it should be ball shrinking cold right now!!!

Paul, I salute you.

Just wait until you put that engine back in!! I put mine off for nearly a year and it took a good mate to give me a kick up the ar$e to get on with it.

Good luck with the rest of the job.

Hi,

Your right, it is bloody freezing! :)

I'm hoping to get the engine all sorted and re-built within a couple of months. then I need to work on the suspension/brakes and bodywork.

This is the first time I've dropped an engine and I'm enjoying it now- it's really satisfying when it all comes appart properly. I cant wait to get it all back together though!!

Paul.

Return to “Mechanical”