What do we think of these...

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Rev2_mike

What do we think of these...

Post by Rev2_mike »

I really like the bomex side skirts and am thinking of having a bit of a change and saw these on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 53603&rd=1

Now they seem very cheap etc etc, but after speaking to the bodyshop guy am i not seeing the whole picture with these skirts? Could i end up having to pay a few hunfred to have them primed, sprayed and fitted etc???

What do you reckon - thanks!! 8)
Patrick Gray

Re: What do we think of these...

Post by Patrick Gray »

They are probably not going to be too far out as they are intended for the mr2.At most i would guess they will require minor fettling.Had this problem with the Toms style intake.We had to drill better mounting points and exert alot of force to keep it lined up until the first screws went in.Worth the hassle though :lol:
jonno

Post by jonno »

A good bodyshop wont have a problem with those. They warm them up and press them into shape if they are slightly out - apparently the material is quite pliable when it gets hot!

I used http://www.davlynsbodyshop.co.uk/ to get mine done, mine were copies too.
Forever Feels Like Home, Sitting All Alone Inside Your Head...
Sidewinder

Post by Sidewinder »

jonno wrote:I used http://www.davlynsbodyshop.co.uk/ to get mine done, mine were copies too.

What are they like price-wise? I had a nightmare trying to track down a bodyshop that wouldn't charge me a small fortune to get a Tom's scoop sprayed last year.
Mk2 NA Rev1 -*- Mk2 Turbo Rev2 -*- Mk1 NA -*- Mk2 Turbo Rev 3 = all gone!

Post by jonno »

I think they charged me ~ £200 to fit and spray them. They are a cracking bodyshop too.
Forever Feels Like Home, Sitting All Alone Inside Your Head...
Rhys-

Post by Rhys- »

Why pay £280 for replica's when you can get originals for £220? :?

Look for a company called MSI or something, that's where I got mine.
Rev2_mike

Post by Rev2_mike »

Rhys- wrote:Why pay £280 for replica's when you can get originals for £220? :?

Look for a company called MSI or something, that's where I got mine.

Found MSI, but couldnt see that they had bomex side skirts there?

Ive emailed the seller on ebay (who appears to be a body shop) asking how much they reckon another body shop SHOULD charge to fit them etc, should be interesting...
Jayng

aftermarket jobbies kits

Post by Jayng »

You`ll have to be careful with copies. I`m not saying that this particular Bomex style kit is pants, could be a peach to fit. But I`ve helped friends fit cheaper make kits and they can be B#astards to get them to fit right.
Some are so bad that bending to fit does not help.

If say a company pays a spotty 16 year to make the bumper for example, he`s just going to lay the fibre matt and brush in the resin. He`s not going to bother making sure that a certain part cannot be too thick and another too thin... That`s why a lot of bodyshops moan when they`re given jobs for cheaper make kits, hence the higher price!! sanding down FRP is easy with a belt sander but it don`t half itch!!

if the vendor is a bodyshop why don`t you ask them to do an all in price including spraying and fitting ;-)

Return to “Modifications”