[mk1] Running temp

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Jon Bradley

[mk1] Running temp

Post by Jon Bradley »

Ok those of you who read my post a while back about my car running colder on the motorway... I replaced the thermostat and problem solved...

But now i've only just noticed (though it could have been doing it ever since i changed the thermostat) that the temp gauge steadily increases up to about 80% of normal operating temp...and then hangs there for quite a while, then veeery slowly creeps up to just below normal operating temp. While its doing that if boot it (may be speed related or could be water pump rpm related) then I see the temp gauge dip back down to about 80% again.......It finally heats up to normal temp and the needle stays put bang in the centre of the dial.

Anyone got any ideas what can be causing this.... Could air in the system cause this problem? I havent got round to trying to bleeding it yet.

Cheers, Jon.
PW@Woodsport

Re: [mk1] Running temp

Post by PW@Woodsport »

could be just the extremely cold temps we have at the moment jon blasting icy cold wind into your rad when you boot it,that would probably explain whats going on,i could be wrong of course.
spudgun

Post by spudgun »

Wouldn't worry to much if its running a bit colder than normal. When it overheats you have a problem on your hands.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Sounds pretty normal to me tbh. The thermostat can only react so quickly.
Jon Bradley

Post by Jon Bradley »

oh good. its my first winter with my this car so wasnt sure! thanks everyone
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

if the temp gauge is moving that quick when you boot it I'd check the coolant and bleed the whole system. The temperature should not vary that much that quickly just booting it.

only my opinion but if it was my car....
James_Ward

Temp

Post by James_Ward »

I agree with Alan.

My temp gauge goes right up to the middle and stays there rain, shine, cold or very cold, if it were my car I'd check it out...... doesn't cost much to flush your coolant and replace, check the filler cap seal etc. but a changing the head gasket costs loads!
Jim :)
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

drove to work today and my temp didn't rise past 1/4 mark. Looks like my thermostat has gone the way of the dodo.

That'll teach me to comment here! :(
crazylegs

Post by crazylegs »

I wouldn`t worry ,if it stays down you are ok.I have a mk1 that sits just over half way and also another(which is for sale) which never even gets to the half way mark.Stays around a third even after sitting running for half an hour.The sensors vary so unless it is getting v.hot just give it a bleed and top up the antifreeze.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Like Crazylegs says you have to allow for a little bit of variation between cars, so don't worry unneccesarily.
vashy

Post by vashy »

Hey Jon, I wouldn't worry either, in fact mine behaves very similarly to your original description! Mine sometimes dives quite dramatically, the first time I boot it after warming the engine up. More so in this cold weather.
reggie

Post by reggie »

The only problem with a permanently open thermostat is that the engine doesn't warm up fully. This would cause the choke to remain on and therefore will use more petrol and lose a bit of performance.
jimi

Post by jimi »

I had the same problem with mine last week, slow to warm up, gauge diving when I booted it. Fitted a new thermostat(MR T) and it stays rock solid all the time now.
hth
Jimi
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Return to “Mechanical”