Another quick Handbrake cable question..

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

pizza boy

Another quick Handbrake cable question..

Post by pizza boy »

I got my brakes checked recently and was told the rear calipers handbrake mechanism was knackered. The tension was fine it just wasnt holding..very weak. And both he stated needed reconditioning. I got reconditioned calipers from www.brakesinternational.com and he fitted them. But the handbrake is still weak and now he states its the handbrake cables that also need replacing.
So then my question is...the new calipers have made jack all difference to remedy the situation of the weak handbrake. So..has he just made me waste all my money on calipers...when it was really just a 30 quid handbrake cable that was needed?

Like most mechanics I dont trust him y'see.
crazylegs

brake calipers

Post by crazylegs »

I would make sure the calipers are working first.I have heard of a few people of late who have bought "reconditioned" calipers for lots of money only to find they are a pile of poo.Ask yourself this how much is a reconditioning kit from Toyota and how much were the calipers?If the cost of the kit is more or near the same then you have bought some washed and sprayed items from a scrap yard.Toyota recon kits are EXPENSIVE so I doubt if they have been done.
pizza boy

Re: Another quick Handbrake cable question..

Post by pizza boy »

My mechanixc deals in recon kits (expensive tho) and commented on the Budweg I supplied myself were of very good quality(much to his annoyance heh). They are in full working condition. Got a nasty feelin I just blew money on non essential parts.

My symptoms were : good tension in handbrake but virtually zero clamping.

Would bad cables cause this? Or bad calipers?
reggie

Post by reggie »

If you can pull your handbrake up to it's normal position and there is good resistance, it would seem that your cables are OK. If your cables were streached then your handbrake travel would be much more than it should and your handbrake would barely operate.

If you could get somebody to operate the handbrake while you look at the caliper, you should see a cable pull a lever on the rear calipers. This pushes hydraulic fluid into the cylinder thereby moving the brake pads. If this looks OK, it is either the caliper (which it sounds like has been removed from the suspects) or possibly there is some air in the system and so it needs more bleeding. Was this fitted for you?

I had a silimar problem with reconditioned brake calipers I got from Fensport (set of four). I took it the faulty one back and they replaced it with another one that worked fine.
pizza boy

Post by pizza boy »

I got a check from Toyota and they also confirmed my handbrake cables were knackered. When my mech removed em he showed me a rubber seal which was worn and dislodged allowing water and crap to get in and wrecking the movement. So the cables were indeed needin replacing.
The tension felt okish because it was only one cable that was fecked. I replaced both tho so I wouldnt get the problem again for sure.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

pizza boy what car is this on? im looking for a pair of rev2 turbo rear calipers so i might be interested in your old ones.
michael

Post by michael »

Cables are cheap and worthy of replacement on any MR2 over a certain age, chances are one side is screwed and the handbrake movement you are getting is one side acting weakly.

Call Brakes International up again and use the IMOC discount code of MR22 to order a pair of cables (chances are the front one will be fine) - then you can laugh when everyone elses freeze up but your new ones don't :)
pizza boy

Post by pizza boy »

ch tatties! I already ordered cables from mrT and they are now fitted but without discount bah! Oh well will remember that for me other mr2 m8s heh thanks micheal.
Paul Woods my car is a rev4 therefore itll be the same size calipers that will fit yours. Rev2/3/4/5 had "22" imprinted on em and are larger calipers. Only the Rev1 had smaller calipers(recognised by the "16" code imprinted on em) I was surcharged £60 in total to return them to brakes international.
Id recommend buyin recon units from em Paul rather than mine as my ones were a bit knackered. Recons are £80 each inc VAT and are basically brand new. Much better for peace of mind imo.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

cheers mate,i will probably go down that route if i cant get a decent 2nd hand pair

Return to “Mechanical”