We all love snow . . . Don't we ?

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

prezjamin

We all love snow . . . Don't we ?

Post by prezjamin »

Drove my new tubby in fairly heavy snow this morning for the first time. It was down a "supposidly" gritted road (gritted my ar$e) the snow was about an inch thick.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

A truely sobering experience, I was only going about 10mph, but my god I am glad i wasnt going any faster. She was shaking her ar$e like a podium dancer. Hopefully the snow will have melted when i get in from work, i dont envy that driving experience again.
BenF
Premium Member

Re: We all love snow . . . Don't we ?

Post by BenF »

LoL! the Mk2 is hopeless on snow.

The combination of wide tyres and a high performance 'summer' tread pattern that won't work in snow means you get very little grip.

When it does snow, you're seriously better off working from home, or if you have to travel in get the bus or train (!)

In the last fortnight there must have been a couple of days I didn't bother driving in to work.
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

Isn't it just, had my first experience of driving a 2 in the snow on Friday night/Sat morning picking up the missus. 20 mph was a good as it got, pulling off in third, and having a small bit of low speed sidewards action :twisted: (and that's in an N/A, don't envy tubby drivers in the snow!!!). Never thought it'd be as bad as that!!
January 2014
..the only thing I can promise for sure is slow progress.

May 2015
just have this niggling thought that if I rip out the wiring, then the car will never get out of the garage again.

Still in the garage...
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

ive been having a great time in it!
when ive been finishing late at work, noones was around when it was snowing! i would take one particular wide corner i no very well, and boot it just a tad! ( i was only doing 15-20mph), but the great side ways action i got was well cool!
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

It is a laugh, low speed sideways action. Not so much fun on busy roads, but great when no-one's about!!
January 2014

May 2015
just have this niggling thought that if I rip out the wiring, then the car will never get out of the garage again.

Still in the garage...
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

Shmed wrote:It is a laugh, low speed sideways action. Not so much fun on busy roads, but great when no-one's about!!

yeh id never do it if anyone was about.
this particular corner is quite sharp, but very wide, and you can see if theres traffic coming on it about 200-300m away! so even if i did do a 180, id be ok!
like i say, 15-20mph, but it is a great feeling getting the back end out!
guess it would be alot more violent in the dry when drifting due to the harsh grip of the tyres.

good harmless fun.
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

good harmless fun
:lol:
No Victim, no crime :D
January 2014

May 2015

Still in the garage...
DeSoLaToR

Post by DeSoLaToR »

Funny you should mention that.....my bro (chriminator) and i realised that snow provides the best drifting experience available...without actually drifting!!

for those people who wish not to go at breakneck speed and take a corner to try some drifting.....just go and find your nearest snowed over road :)
axisofunity

Post by axisofunity »

Hehehe

Snow driving in a NA was fun...

The Goodyear Eagle F1's gripped quite well and allowed speeds of 20mph to 25 safe as long as breaking wasn't required. Good thing it was a dual lane.

This is also one time when you do thank the undercar Neons (white) because they act as more lights for you :)
Al-sw20

Post by Al-sw20 »

The snow rocks. We usually only get one maybe two days off snow down to sea level here in Christchurch in the winter, but its bloody fun driving to work. I had my turb crabwalking up the street to my work at like 6am \:D/

Return to “Driving Experiences”