V6 Turbo

V6? V8? TDI? Discussion and technical advice for engine transplants inc. 5SFE & 5SGTE builds. Not for N/A to Turbo, or Rev1/2 to 3+ conversions.
Project and build threads welcome.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

V8Killer

Re: V6 Turbo

Post by V8Killer »

Peter Gidden - sbITs wrote:
I agree with Paul.... Just try my Noble . . 2.5l V6, 330BHP. Each T20 turbo is, in theory, matched to a 1250cc engine so small, light, and next to no lag.... :twisted:

Cannon fodder :whistle:

;)
M5
SwissHeavy

Post by SwissHeavy »

Would it be aggro getting another supercharger instead of a TRD to fit... and it would it produce any meaningful gains?
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

good point,actually the TRD set up isnt the best design,its placement means it cant be intercooled....now if you were to cram a rotrex under the manifold where the power steering pump used to be and did some clever piping that would produce better results (after intercooling) than the TRD SC unit.

The benefit of the TRD unit is its compact easy to fit design.
SwissHeavy

Post by SwissHeavy »

Loud and clear Paul. Tempted by the V6 option (like a lot of people) but want to see what else can be done before the engine is placed into the bay. May as well do it all at once.
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

Seeing as the supersharger doesnt interfere with the exhaust like a turbo I bet it sounds GREAT :twisted:
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

you bet it does! Phils Mk2 v6sc sounds absolutely amazing on full chat
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

Best car sound I've ever heard (all be it on telly) is the Merc SLR. Makes me damp lol.
Johnny G

Post by Johnny G »

PW@Woodsport wrote:good point,actually the TRD set up isnt the best design,its placement means it cant be intercooled....now if you were to cram a rotrex under the manifold where the power steering pump used to be and did some clever piping that would produce better results (after intercooling) than the TRD SC unit.

But the rotrex is a centrigual supercharger, so it's still got a lag of sorts, does not provide off-idle boost, heats up VERY quickly and has high parasitic losses. Unless you're running mad boost, it's not THAT efficient IIRC. I know Koenigsegg use it on the CCS or CCX but there are heat issues, they needs large intercoolers :)

For std applications, roots provides the best off-idle response in low psi regions :)
3.4ltr V6 Turbo. Built by Woodsport. Controlled by Syvecs, mapped by Ryan. 420bhp @ 0.7bar from 2400rpm
Quigonjay

Post by Quigonjay »

Johnny G wrote:
PW@Woodsport wrote:good point,actually the TRD set up isnt the best design,its placement means it cant be intercooled....now if you were to cram a rotrex under the manifold where the power steering pump used to be and did some clever piping that would produce better results (after intercooling) than the TRD SC unit.

But the rotrex is a centrigual supercharger, so it's still got a lag of sorts, does not provide off-idle boost, heats up VERY quickly and has high parasitic losses. Unless you're running mad boost, it's not THAT efficient IIRC. I know Koenigsegg use it on the CCS or CCX but there are heat issues, they needs large intercoolers :)

For std applications, roots provides the best off-idle response in low psi regions :)

so which type is the trd unit? roots?
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

But the rotrex is a centrigual supercharger, so it's still got a lag of sorts, does not provide off-idle boost, heats up VERY quickly and has high parasitic losses. Unless you're running mad boost, it's not THAT efficient IIRC. I know Koenigsegg use it on the CCS or CCX but there are heat issues, they needs large intercoolers

For std applications, roots provides the best off-idle response in low psi regions

i stand corrected sir.

Return to “MR2 Engine Swaps”