Alloys

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

CharlesK

Alloys

Post by CharlesK »

I'm after as set of alloys for my 2 and I've come across a set I like :)
They are however a fair bit wider than the standards and I'm wondering if they will fit without problems :?
The sizes are:
Front 8 x 17 offset + 31
Rear 9 x 17 offset +35
Any thougths?
Cheers
Charles
shafster

Re: Alloys

Post by shafster »

so long as you get the right width and profile tyre, those should be fine. i would suggest width wise 215 on the fronts and 255 on the rear. offsets and width size of the alloys are fine and you should have no probs with the right size tyres
JJ

Post by JJ »

Shaf, you sure about them ?

I have a 35mm offset 7.5 inch rim ( yeah I know, but I'll never catch the kerb with them ! ) and 245/35 sized tires... and the tyre looks awfully close to the arches. Arch clearance is there, but I think I may have loaded the boot up one day and actually heard on the of the wheels catch the rear arch !???

Just a thought :!:
|| S256SX Airwerks Powered MR2 Turbo || V10 BMW M5 ||
eddy simpson

Post by eddy simpson »

i have 8 x18" front and rear with 215/35x18 and 245/35x18 with 35mm offset which are a neat fit, i think 9" on the rear with a 35mm offset may be a bit close to the arch. but if you really like them just go for it theres plenty bodyshops that will solve your problem. :)
shafster

Post by shafster »

jj, i had 18x8 on the rear with 255/35/18 tyres and dont think i ever caught the wheels on the arch.... im pretty damn sure of it :D
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

These bad boys are going onto the rear of my mk1 with 255/45/17 rubber and are 10 inches wide! needless to say fat arches are in the process of being grafted onto the car to accomodate.This also means ive got two non dished 7.5j azev A's going spare if someone needs them.
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

It is all about offset, but try not to go too mad or else the track will change and you can put excessive moments on the wheel bearings during cornering.

I have seen a rev3 with 265 10j's in max flower a few years back.......although it was admitedly a wide body!

fat tyres look cool though 8)

Return to “Modifications”