funny box thing and huge cables under drivers seat????????

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

jimGTS

funny box thing and huge cables under drivers seat????????

Post by jimGTS »

anyone know what this could be??? is it standard?????? i havent had a chance yet to get a torch under there to check, but any ideas????
Rowland

Re: funny box thing and huge cables under drivers seat????????

Post by Rowland »

Is it the electrical wiring for the seatbelt warning light on the dash??

:D
will

Post by will »

didnt some of the cars have the amp for the stereo under the seat ?
Sidewinder

Post by Sidewinder »

I'm going with Rowland's answer being the one. The cable should be covered by plastic, and you should find a plug in the middle of it. If/when you take the seats out, you disconnect this plug.
Mk2 NA Rev1 -*- Mk2 Turbo Rev2 -*- Mk1 NA -*- Mk2 Turbo Rev 3 = all gone!

Post by will »

the only thing is tho, he said its a funny box thing with huge cables coming out from it, I wouldnt have thought that a sensor for the seat belt would have used such huge cables :?
Sidewinder

Post by Sidewinder »

Well...the plastic cable cover is quite thick (about 10mm) if I remember correctly, so that might be it. There's no actual sensor under the seat, just the plug thing. The light on the dashboard is made through a basic electrical connection using the metal of the seatbelt clip.

Will - are you the same Will with a red MR2 that turned up to the last Hobby Horse meet? If so...hello mate! :)
Mk2 NA Rev1 -*- Mk2 Turbo Rev2 -*- Mk1 NA -*- Mk2 Turbo Rev 3 = all gone!

Post by chevva1 »

it could be something to do with your alarm if you have one fitted cuz when i got mine done he put something under my seat :P
will

Post by will »

Are you the same Nige that had a black MR2 Turbo? if so HI :D If not then........ Hi anyway :D
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

It's most likely the remote central locking control box. If you find you haven't got a key with buttons on then it's most likely not made it over from Japan. Look also for a button with a key symbol on it on the dashboard for confirmation.

I've seen lots of these and given the generally ad-hoc nature of their installation I would guess they're a dealer fit item.

Rogue
Chris \'aka rustboy\' Amm

Post by Chris \'aka rustboy\' Amm »

Rogue wrote:It's most likely the remote central locking control box. If you find you haven't got a key with buttons on then it's most likely not made it over from Japan. Look also for a button with a key symbol on it on the dashboard for confirmation.

I've seen lots of these and given the generally ad-hoc nature of their installation I would guess they're a dealer fit item.

Rogue

yeah could be! my GTS has such a wire under the seat and remote locking and a switch with a key on the dash to turn it on and off which always confused me???

not really needed with my alarm key fob now but was a nice little extra to have before i had the alarm as i hate non-remote locking cars, finding key holes in the dark is how you get scratches :x

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”