A Grinding And Groaning Aerial.......

Posts about stereos, speakers, sat nav etc and posts about car alarms or car security.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

OohMatron

A Grinding And Groaning Aerial.......

Post by OohMatron »

Hola All,

Well, how dissapointed :cry: was I this weekend just gone. Fitted myself a nice new MP3 player head unit, upgraded the front speakers only to switch it all on and find out the aerial rose a little, stuck and made this god awful grinding noise.

Now it makes this noise whenever the car is started and the head unit turned on / off and the mast is stuck.!

Is it easy to find the problem / replace the internals or do I just go for a scrapyard one if I can find one.?

TIA

Stephen
robbie_742003

Re: A Grinding And Groaning Aerial.......

Post by robbie_742003 »

Mine made a similar noise so investigated to see the toothed coil inside the motor had snapped.If u can find one in a scrappy,cool.Otherwise it will be £30 ish from Mr T. good luck!

Rob
OohMatron

Found The Problem......

Post by OohMatron »

The toothed coil inside the mast is ok, it's the nylon worm gear that sits between the metal worm and the rest of the drive that has gone..!!

Good old Land Of The Rising Sun engineering - metal worm on plastic cog..!!

Anyone know where parts might be able to be sourced from?

There's always some aerials on eBay but I'd be loathed to pay £50ish for something that could have the same problem and go belly up in 2 weeks time.!!

TIA.

Stephen
sadako

Post by sadako »

I'm trying to find a mk1b antenna, i'm sure i can replace that plastic cog with something a little more substantial if it goes
OohMatron

Post by OohMatron »

I've found some manufatures of gears and the like but none of them match the original in any way eg - number of teeth, overall diameter, bore size etc?

Any ideas where you'd find a suitable replcement?

Cheers

Stephen
sadako

Post by sadako »

My father makes working models, particularly trains and trams. If such a gear is out there he will either be able to find it or know someone that can make it. If I dig up some antennas to try and make a working one i'll show him the cog and see what he makes of it, Naturally posting the results back here
OohMatron

Post by OohMatron »

Enough Said, thanks very much sadako, best of luck with finding your aerial and keep me posted.

Cheers

Stephen
Stephen
'2 in Blue

Return to “ICE and Security”