How well does an MR2 perform on track?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Lauren
IMOC Committee

Re: How well does an MR2 perform on track?

Post by Lauren »

steve b wrote:Ah I see, had instruction on my first trackday and it was invaluable, think i'll need some more for the winter conditions.

Do it Steve, tell the instructor what your worries and concerns are that way they'll focus on it. Be honest with them and you'll get the most out of it.

I'm not sure who it'll be at Combe, but its likely it'll be Roly or Paul. Paul took me out in Jonny's eRise and i have to say i was pretty impressed. Both guys are nice and friendly and from what i've seen just a little bit handy behind the wheel. I think Combe is unusual as its one of the few circuits where we use their own instructors.
MattLaw

Post by MattLaw »

Thanks for the advice. I only really got to use my mk2 when the roads were cold, wet and greasy, which didn't boast a lot of confidence in the cars handling when pushed near the limits.

I would love to try one again on a dry track to see what they can really be like 8)
MattLaw

Post by MattLaw »

Been looking at several posts and videos on here and I really fancy a mk1 as track motor.

I've seen loads for peanuts on Autotrader too. Is the mk1 N/A any good or would it be a lot better to get a SC? The only one I've seen on Autotrader is just under three grand so it's a lot of difference in price for the SC. Is it worth the extra dollar for just a track car that would just be used for track?

Can someone inform me of the different revisions etc of the mk1's too? I know all about the mk2 but have never been interested in the mk1 until now!

Thanks
Matt
JJ

Post by JJ »

Can someone inform me of the different revisions etc of the mk1's too?

The first models have more rust than the later models ! :lol:

Mk2 - galvanised bodies ! no structural issues.

:wink:
|| S256SX Airwerks Powered MR2 Turbo || V10 BMW M5 ||
MattLaw

Post by MattLaw »

lol, yea I guess rust could be an issue!

How fast are they on the road? I just realised they're only 122bhp :shock:

Are they similar to the 150bhp SW20 on the road?
JJ

Post by JJ »

Power to weights pretty good on them matt, don't be decieved by the engines "only" churning out 120+ bhp... thats bloody good for a 21 year old designed engine. Still keep pace with many things.. revs to 7700 rpm before going into the red, so they are a proper little screamer with great gearing.

If I dare say it, better gearing that the Mk2 Gti/GLd .. the 2.0 litres designed for torque and the gears tend to be quite far apart !

Real life performance figures, they're about the same though the 2.0 litre Mk2 should be able to pull past the mk1 on the straights.

:)
|| S256SX Airwerks Powered MR2 Turbo || V10 BMW M5 ||
MattLaw

Post by MattLaw »

Ok thanks for that. I think I might try and find one at a garage and take it out for a drive. I just need to pursuade the missus that I NEED one... :wink:
Speedy

Post by Speedy »

I actually much prefer a wet track over a dry one
- have to agree that Donny in the wet was much more fun than Anglesey in the dry. Mk1s do seem to be better in the wet, esp. with some decent rubber on.

Always nice to be overtaking caterhams :)
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

MattLaw wrote:Been looking at several posts and videos on here and I really fancy a mk1 as track motor.

I've seen loads for peanuts on Autotrader too. Is the mk1 N/A any good or would it be a lot better to get a SC?

Matt, I've had and used on track my Mk2 Turbo for a few years, and have recently bought a cheap Mk1 NA for £500 as a trackday car. I'd worked out that a set of new tyres on trackday rims for the Turbo was going to cost nearly £300 - for not much more you can get a complete Mk1 NA.

My impressions of driving both are that the Mk1 is deinitely as much fun as a turbo to drive on track. Back to back, below about 70mph there isn't much to separate them - above those speeds the extra bhp of the turbo means its pulls away.

To give you a comparison - looking at footage I recorded around Donnington in the Turbo a couple of years back on a wet circuit I was doing laps in 1.46ish, MK1SCs (Matt Jenkens) in 1.48, and thsi year (again in the wet) in my MK1 NA this year about 1.50.

If you like throwing the car sideways a LSD helps with powerslides and goonage in general - the Mk1 NA doesn't have a LSD and so can't be provoked in quite the same way.

Can someone inform me of the different revisions etc of the mk1's too? I know all about the mk2 but have never been interested in the mk1 until now!

Well, there was a 'Mk1a' and a 'Mk1b' revison. Loosely, the biggest differences were the early engine is a little better than the later (but prefers Super Unleaded) and the early car has slightly smaller front brakes.

You can upgrade the front brakes to bigger disks and calipers from the later car, and keep the early engine which is lighter than the later one - getting the best of both worlds.

Or at least that's what I'm doing :-) I've got some Bigger Mk1 brakes to fit to fit to the Mk1 in the new year ..

I'd have to say that I'd highly recommend the Mk1 as a trackday tool. IMHO - its styling isn't ever going to work for me, but behind the drivers wheel the feedback and enjoyment you get from the car is excellent - dare I say it, it certainly gives more feedback to the driver than my Turbo, making it 'easier' to drive on the very limit.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Also worth adding to the mix:

The early MK1 'a's handle better due to a slightly different rear suspension geo and different length trailing arms.

Also the early car's ECU has a more aggressive map, plus the engine internals are lighter and the flywheel is smaller so it revs better.

The later cars have a stronger bottom end but don't rev as cleanly due to increased weight of big end journals and a bigger flywheel etc.

I have an SC modded to the n'th degree and an early NA with a late engine.

Tbh though the SC makes a great track car, there's something just so appealing about a little high revving NA screamer that zings its way to the red-line.
Nelo

Post by Nelo »

MattLaw wrote:Great stuff. I had a feeling there might be quite a bit of understeer from them.

Does anyone know where I can download any 'in-car' MR2 trackday footage? Or if not just videos of SW20's track racing?

Cheers
Matt

Hey mate,

I know you've made your mind up on what car you want to buy but i'll give you links to videos i've made while doing trackdays in my Mk2.

These are from Anglesey in April 2004:

Video 1

Video 2

Video 3

Video 4

Video 5

Video 6

Video 7

Video 8

And i've posted links to videos under the Mondello Trackday thread as well:

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16

I sometimes have trouble viewing them myself, but I downloaded these codecs and they seem to work fine:

Codecs

Also maybe try downloading the latest DivX??

Tell me what you think, and also tell me if any of the vids don't work!

Pete

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”