Tyre Pressures on Rev3 15's

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

OohMatron

Tyre Pressures on Rev3 15's

Post by OohMatron »

Hola All,

Right, a HUGE thanks to Chris from Doncaster for the mint Rev 3 alloys he sold me last night! It now saves me trying to find some 14" rubber for my Rev 1's!

The tyres these alloys came with are Nankangs on the rear 225/50/15, loads of tread so not bothered about brand at the mo'. The fronts are Yoko's A022A 195/55/15 with about 4mm of tread left.

The big question for me is - what pressures?

TIA.

Stephen
Stephen
'2 in Blue
BenF
Premium Member

Re: Tyre Pressures on Rev3 15's

Post by BenF »

OohMatron wrote:Hola All,

Right, a HUGE thanks to Chris from Doncaster for the mint Rev 3 alloys he sold me last night! It now saves me trying to find some 14" rubber for my Rev 1's!

The tyres these alloys came with are Nankangs on the rear 225/50/15, loads of tread so not bothered about brand at the mo'. The fronts are Yoko's A022A 195/55/15 with about 4mm of tread left.

The big question for me is - what pressures?

TIA.

Stephen

Try 29psi front, 33 rear.

I'd replace the Nagkangs straight away - they're lethal in the wet.

Try some Goodyear F1s or Beidgestone S03s.
OohMatron

Post by OohMatron »

I'd replace the Nagkangs straight away - they're lethal in the wet.

Try some Goodyear F1s or Beidgestone S03s.

Cheers for the pressures Ben,

I will be getting rid of the NK TDF's as soon as in the new year. I'm better off now though than i was with 14" rims running Wanli's up front and even worse NK's on the rear..!!

Stephen
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

Standard pressures (for UK rev5 at least) are 31 front, 35 rear.

And yeah, lose those ditch finder rears before they lose you.
Dave

Post by Dave »

I too ran 35 on A022 Yoko rears and encountered uneven tyre wear. May be my worn out car as I'm pretty sure this is the pressure quoted in the handbook but for me, in practice it seemed too high. 31 fronts and 33 rears seems to be working better....
Grajey

Post by Grajey »

I'm just about to replace my rear SO3's (225/50/15) and I've been running the rears with 32psi. The centre has worn slightly more that the outer so I'll be dropping the pressure to 30psi on the new set.
I run the fronts 29psi and they are wearing evenly.
Chris \'aka rustboy\' Amm

Post by Chris \'aka rustboy\' Amm »

if it still there and not worn away there is a sticker for tyre pressures on the door, if it's a jap import it'll all be in jap but you can see the tyre size and pressures, although bare in mind there not in PSI well they wasn't on my sticker :)
OohMatron

Post by OohMatron »

Thanks To You All,

Well, the wheels are on and I'm running 29 up front and 32 at the rear, all feels well but i'll be checking for the wear rate frequently.

Even with the TDF's on the rear the car feels 100% better than before, I can feel the extra grip at every opportunity. Especially round a nice quiet roundabout I have on my way to work. It may not sound much, but, to be going round it at around 45mph in third then exit it whilst still accelerating it quite an achievement over the old setup.

Cheers for all your advice.

Stephen
Stephen
'2 in Blue
Chris

Post by Chris »

Glad that wheels are OK for ya mate. :wink: Did you need to have them balanced? Or were they OK? Just wondering as they have not been on a car for a while and I have a set of 17" rims doing same at moment.
OohMatron

Post by OohMatron »

Cheers Chris, yeap, they needed balancing, how much they were out god only knows, oh and probably the technician.? :?
pizza boy

Post by pizza boy »

Wankangs!!! noooo! Its shocking how many garages out there are slappin on these crud tires for unsuspecting new owners...ive seen a few mr2s in garages AAAALLL of em had wankangs.... :shock:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”