mk3 3sgte engine transpant

The last incarnation of our beloved mr2..Discussion and technical advice for the ZZW30 MR2 Roadster (MR-S), & MR2 Spyder. 1ZZ-FE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

scottietse

mk3 3sgte engine transpant

Post by scottietse »

my car is getting on abit now and i been looking towards a mk3 but do you think my tubby engine will fit in it???

has anyone done this???/ will it work?
ENSMR2

Re: mk3 3sgte engine transpant

Post by ENSMR2 »

scottietse wrote:my car is getting on abit now and i been looking towards a mk3 but do you think my tubby engine will fit in it???

has anyone done this???/ will it work?

Speak to Patrick at Rogue. I beleive has or is doing one.

However there are plenty of turbo kits available for the MK3 engine.
markiii

Post by markiii »

it can be done but is not easy
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

I doubt there's many mk3 engines that have been turbo'd that make the same kinda power levels that the 3SGTE makes.. Reliably any way.

If you already have an engine and it costs the same to fit that engine to a mark 3 as it does to turbo the mk3 engine I'd say fit the 3SGTE
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

It's a lot of work! My project's been on the go now for a couple of years - my biggest enemy being a lack of time to work on it. The first problem that you need to overcome is that the engine and gearbox are physcially too wide for the chassis, then you'll notice that the fuel delivery systems are different. After that, the fact that the gear selection systems are completely backwards to each other should come as no suprise... Driveshafts are fun. :D

Still, it's all do-able. Some of the hold up with mine is that I can't resist tinkering as it goes along... Add a Radtec chargecooler here, and a garret GT28rs there, standalone engine managment, etc...

Engine's been installed a long time. We're now at the point where a good clear week would see everything finished. Some time in 2009 then... :roll:

Rogue
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

nice work there patrick =D> ....i might have a crack at this over the winter if spare time allows,which as we know is the killer when it comes to engine conversions
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

matt_mr2t wrote:I doubt there's many mk3 engines that have been turbo'd that make the same kinda power levels that the 3SGTE makes.. Reliably any way.

If you already have an engine and it costs the same to fit that engine to a mark 3 as it does to turbo the mk3 engine I'd say fit the 3SGTE

Ah, the beauty is that the Roadster is a lot lighter than a Mk2 - for the same performance, you don't need as much power.

Eg, Mine has 220bhp with a small Power Enterprises Turbo kit and chargecooler - that has done a number of trackdays and 20k miles now, so I'd call that reliable.

In terms of power/weight - its up there with a 280-300bhp Mk2 Turbo - I should know as I had one previously :)

Now, a supercharged or Turbo'd 2zz-fe which produces 190bhp in NA trim would be serious fun in a Roadster - Lotus get 240bhp for the Elise from one of these.
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

BenF wrote:Ah, the beauty is that the Roadster is a lot lighter than a Mk2 - for the same performance, you don't need as much power.

Eg, Mine has 220bhp with a small Power Enterprises Turbo kit and chargecooler - that has done a number of trackdays and 20k miles now, so I'd call that reliable.

In terms of power/weight - its up there with a 280-300bhp Mk2 Turbo - I should know as I had one previously :)

Now, a supercharged or Turbo'd 2zz-fe which produces 190bhp in NA trim would be serious fun in a Roadster - Lotus get 240bhp for the Elise from one of these.

Adding the 3SGTE isn't going to increase the weight that much. All my body panels are now composite which should go a long way to cancelling out the extra weight in the engine. I'm expecting around 350bhp to the hubs in initial trim which I think is as far as I want to push it without forged internals. When (if) I take that next step I'll upgrade from my GT28RS turbo to something along the lines of a GT35 and slap in one of our 2.2l engines. I've a feeling that 350+bhp in a sub 1 ton chassis will keep me amused for a while though. :lol:

Patrick
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

Ben - thats fine if your comparing a mk2 to a mk3 in terms of power to weight etc.

What I meant though is for a seriously powered mk3 - IE 300+ like Patrick is saying I think the 3S GTE engine would be the better option.
markiii

Post by markiii »

if your up for the work involved yes.

not forget tha not everyone puts composite panels on.

if you don't it will spoil teh handling due to teh weight
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

markiii wrote:if you don't it will spoil the handling due to the weight

Shouldn't do... Don't forget this is a mid engined car, you're adding weight to the middle...

Patrick
markiii

Post by markiii »

yeah but but a veyron engine in an elise it's going to make a difference

granted thats a large exageration but

Return to “MR2 MK3 2000-2007”