Prepping a '2 for long-term storage

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Sidewinder

Prepping a '2 for long-term storage

Post by Sidewinder »

I lost my job today. :cry: Anyway, getting practical before the dawn of realisation sets in, I'm going to be storing my tubby in my garage until I can afford to drive it again (i.e gawd knows when).

What do I need to do to 'prep' it to stop the engine seizing, etc? I'm more than prepared to roll her out of the garage every couple of weeks or so to prevent the tyres from going manky, but would like to know what else I can do.

TIA
Mk2 NA Rev1 -*- Mk2 Turbo Rev2 -*- Mk1 NA -*- Mk2 Turbo Rev 3 = all gone!

Re: Prepping a '2 for long-term storage

Post by stevel »

Sorry to hear that mate I bet you’re gutted. Cant help you about how to store it but all I have to do with my lawn mower is put some oil were the spark plug goes then hoof it into the shed for 6 months always starts 10th attempt.
Ian Geary

Post by Ian Geary »

Not sure about the mechanicals, but don't forget you can claim back any road duty left on your tax disc (as long as there's a minimum of 2 months on there.)

You'll have to do a SORN declaration, but if it's off the road you'll have no problems.

Actually, just remembered a mechanical one. A few year's ago my dad left our renault off the road for about 6 months, and when he came to drive it the clutch was seized together!

He ended up having to take the gear box off to free it, so it might be worth checking this every few weeks.

hth

Ian
SFLee

Post by SFLee »

i am sure also need to discharge the battery, or the battery will die, but then again i am also sure if you dont start the car every now and them everything will die aircon being the first!! so I guess you may just have to start the engine and let it run every month or so, if you have alarm disable it, as it kill battery
Paul R

Post by Paul R »

SFLee wrote:i am sure also need to discharge the battery, or the battery will die, but then again i am also sure if you dont start the car every now and them everything will die aircon being the first!! so I guess you may just have to start the engine and let it run every month or so, if you have alarm disable it, as it kill battery

I would keep the battery on trickle charge or dis connect it.

Paul.
Sidewinder

Post by Sidewinder »

Nice one - thanks for the suggestions, chaps! I'll get all this done tomorrow as it's too bloomin' cold to do it now... :)
Mk2 NA Rev1 -*- Mk2 Turbo Rev2 -*- Mk1 NA -*- Mk2 Turbo Rev 3 = all gone!

Post by Nelly »

Don't accidentally lock a cat in it for three days, like I did!

I'm sure you'l be back in gainful employment again before too long...
JUIC'IN

Post by JUIC'IN »

Sorry to hear of your misfortune mate. :(

As for the car, i'd just disconnect the battery for now.

Depending on how long it gets left you might want to give it a bit of a service before you start it up again. I.e. put fresh oil in it etc.

Also you might need to have your tires balanced if its sat still for along time! :wink:
Jon S

Post by Jon S »

Nelly wrote:Don't accidentally lock a cat in it for three days, like I did!

Ha Ha ! FPMSL ! spilt beer on keyboard etc...... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”