Carrying water?

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

kinchj

Carrying water?

Post by kinchj »

I have a 2001 MR2 Roadster and have noticed recently that you can hear water somewhere behind the driver and passenger seats. When I pull up or accelerate you can hear it washing about. I am guessing that some water has got trapped somewhere in the body work and can't drain away ?!?!

Has anyone else had this problem? any ideas about how I can fix it?

Thanks in advance,
Jamie
Ian Geary

Re: Carrying water?

Post by Ian Geary »

Not too familiar with the mk3.

Just thought I'd throw in a no brainer - where is the fuel tank on these cars?

Some of my previous front engined cars would get quite a sloshing when the tank was emptish.

And I'm pretty sure the mk2 fuel tank is located around the centre of the car behind the seats...?

Just a thought anyway.

Ian
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

Yeah, I'd say it's the fuel tank.
I asked about a sloshing sound in my mk2 when coming to a gentle halt that only happened sometimes - someone suggested it's the fuel tank when it's nearly empty - which explained why I only heard it sometimes.

Of course you can't hear it in the mk2 when accelerating because of the roar of the engine :D probably very audible in the mk3 though :lol:
Ed

Post by Ed »

Try pulling the carpet up and looking underneath for signs of water. On a previous car water got in through the front bulkhead because the drainage holes for the windscreen wiper motor area were blocked. Found a good litres worth of water each side sloshing around, but the carpets were bone dry to the touch.

HTH Ed
kinchj

Post by kinchj »

Thanks all. It is definatly not the fuel tank though as we have ha dthe car for three years and the sound has only just started.

I'll check under the carpet as I'm sure there is water in there somewhere!

Thanks,
Jamie
Urbantiger

Post by Urbantiger »

Have you tried turning up the stereo I find it gets rid of 99% of my strange noises :lol:

Steve..
Ed

Post by Ed »

If the mk3 is anything like the mk2 then you will need to remove the seats to lift the carpets up enough in order to see properly and mop out any water that may be there.

Return to “Mechanical”