Ally Catch Tank

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Urbantiger

Ally Catch Tank

Post by Urbantiger »

Hi Guys
Just a quick question with regard to fitting a breather catch tank
There seems to be 2 breathers from the enging, 1 from below the pistons (crank breather) and 1 from above (cam cover) and only 2 inlets into my new catch tank.
The question is do i need to fit a Y conector into the breather lines and have 1 into the tank and use the other in/out let to vent to air, or do i just connect both breathers to each of the inlets on the tank? ( if the later wont that just cause pressure in the tank?)

Any help much appreciated

Steve..
steve b

Re: Ally Catch Tank

Post by steve b »

don't connect the two to the tank unless its a mocal type tank with a breather on top, most other catch tanks are in and out affairs so would pressurise with 2 pipes going in. Most people just run the breather from the cam cover to catch can then catch can to induction. If you stop feeding back into the inlet manifold / induction area on n/a's you suffer rough idle and starting isn't as good. On my turbo i have only ever run a tank out the cam cover and back in the inlet.
'02 VX220 2.2 n/a Daily driver - Exige Size TD 1.2 - TAT shorty Diffuser - HardTop - Chris Tullet 4-1 Manifold.

'97 mk1 Mazda Eunos Turbo track car with 260bhp/ton - soon more as Chris Wilsons going to build me an engine over the winter :o) .
Urbantiger

Post by Urbantiger »

Cheers mate mines a turbo and i want to stop all unnessary heat from entering the induction, and this is why i was going to run both breathers int the can,
will this have any untoward problems with the running of the car in a lubrication side of things?
im also running a motec so no problems with idling or starting

thanks

Steve..
Urbantiger

Post by Urbantiger »

Any one else got any comments, will lubrication be affected?

Steve..
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Nope lubrication will not be affected as oil from the PCV doesn't lubricate anything anyway.

Catch tank is the best option.
MR2Mania

Post by MR2Mania »

Urbantiger wrote:Any one else got any comments, will lubrication be affected?

Steve..

The main benefit from stopping it recirculating back into the intake is that you'll stop oil droplets and mist (yes, they still get through, even with the Rev3+ catch can) getting through. Oil in your charge air will have the effect of reducing your octane levels of the final mixture to be burnt.
Urbantiger

Post by Urbantiger »

Cheers Guys n Gals :D

Steve..

Return to “Modifications”