NEW Battery draining ?!!

Anything to do with the electrics of the car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Lono9885

NEW Battery draining ?!!

Post by Lono9885 »

Hi guys,

This question is hard to put into words but basically I have recently as in 2 weeks ago replaced the battery on the car because it died whilst i was in a carwash!

Anyway I have also replaced the alternator (a year before) and have been told that the alternator charges the battery fine. Ok so if I leave the car for any length of time longer than normal (driven everyday) like for the last 2 days it has been alarmed and left outside my girlfriends house. I come back and always notice weird things that you would associate with a dying battery. This evening after 48hours I unarmed the alarm got in and started up turned stereo on and the display was half lit for about 10 seconds. It never does this normally display comes on says welcome JVC straight away. I turned it off and back on once the car was running and it was normal hmm the other day car was left for about 24hours and when i disarmed the alarm instead of the normal igh pitched clifford chirp it made a low sound (as if the alarm had just woken up!)

This makes me remember a time when I went to a music festival for the weekend came back and apparently the alarm had gone off continuosly for a long time and I was left with a flat battery.

Anyone got any ideas as this is bugging me now ?

Cheers
Adam
Leon.

Re: NEW Battery draining ?!!

Post by Leon. »

Maybe a short in the electrics? Giving power to something even when the engine is switched off? Or a live wire going to ground and draining the battery.......? Have you fully checked battery connectors etc?

Just a guess........
BenF
Premium Member

Re: NEW Battery draining ?!!

Post by BenF »

Adam,

It sounds like something (eg the alarm) is drawing a fair amount of current from he battery when the car is parked up with the engine off.

If you're handy with an ammeter, with the car off connect it in series with the battery - with the car off, current draw should be 100mA or so, maybe a little more if you've got Radio based volumetric intrusion detection options with your Alarm.

Then try pulling fuses in sequence from the fuse box until you find one that makes the biggest difference - that tells you which circuit the fault is on.

If that's beyond you, your best option is to take it to an auto Electrician I'm afraid.

Return to “Electrical”