Finally.... a tubby

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Raf

Finally.... a tubby

Post by Raf »

Hi all,

i recently sold my NA to a guy from wales and for 6 months i have been without a car (well an MR2) :( . However on this great day i have just bought a black tubby (fresh from the docks)... in black and only covered 51k! :lol: :lol:

its totaly standard i think and i should be taking delivery next week. However i have a Supra Aerotop in my garage that needs a passenger rear 1/4- anyone know where i can get one from as i need to sell this asap to make space really!

anyone after a Supra let me know. i want around £2500 for it!
anyone has a rear 1/4 also let me know..... cheers

Raf
JJ

Re: Finally.... a tubby

Post by JJ »

What else is wrong with it ???

Is it a turbo or a normally aspirated ?
|| S256SX Airwerks Powered MR2 Turbo || V10 BMW M5 ||
Raf

Post by Raf »

Its an NA, and being an Aero-top its an Auto. If you are interested i can mail you pics over the week end.

from what i can tell its hit a post at the rear 1/4. the suspension is fine. the leading edge of the boot has been kinked but can be repaired hence i only need a 1/4 panel. From what my bodyworks guy could tell i only needed the 1/4 panel.

im off home now and will try getting pics up.

Cheers

Raf
branny crashed turbo

Post by branny crashed turbo »

take it easy with the turbo.

they are nothing like an N/A... as i found out :(
Raf

Post by Raf »

Cheers Bud.... i have not driven but but heard lots about them. Prob wont even drive it much over winter but i have been after one ever since i got my na :twisted:

How did you manage urs???
Sidewinder

Post by Sidewinder »

branny crashed turbo wrote:take it easy with the turbo.

Yep - know what you mean. I crashed my Rev 2 tubby last year, and have been paying the price (in insurance premiums) ever since. :cry:
Mk2 NA Rev1 -*- Mk2 Turbo Rev2 -*- Mk1 NA -*- Mk2 Turbo Rev 3 = all gone!

Post by Chris \'aka rustboy\' Amm »

defo different! try coming from a 1.6i N/A mk1 to a MK2 turbo like i did :D
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

Chris 'aka rustboy' Ammon wrote:

defo different! try coming from a 1.6i N/A mk1 to a MK2 turbo like i did :D

likewise 110bhp -> 204 all at the wheels but the biggy is 90ftlb -> 200ftlb. Grunt :twisted:
Raf

Post by Raf »

this is probably the worst time of year to get one. JJ sorry man didnt get time this weekend to take pics- i will have them up tomorrow.

My mates just bought a UK imprezza and that thing is amazingly quick but on paper they are only around 217bhp (Uk car).... what are Tubby's like against these?
JJ

Post by JJ »

Raf wrote:this is probably the worst time of year to get one. JJ sorry man didnt get time this weekend to take pics- i will have them up tomorrow.

My mates just bought a UK imprezza and that thing is amazingly quick but on paper they are only around 217bhp (Uk car).... what are Tubby's like against these?

Driven right, MR2 will wipe the floor with them. MR2T's are lighter ! But this time of year, the scoobies grip better ! :shock:

Hey no rush ! Raf !

I'm interested still ! I have a supra turbo engine on the floor with a 6 speed looking for a home ! :D Make a nice runabout :)
|| S256SX Airwerks Powered MR2 Turbo || V10 BMW M5 ||
Raf

Post by Raf »

a turbo'd aerotop.... going all F&F!!! :twisted:

yeah i was thinking its going to be intresting to see what the scooby can do against the Tubby. im sure i read a V's post against an Sti but i wasnt sure if it was by Ammon :lol:
Chris \'aka rustboy\' Amm

Post by Chris \'aka rustboy\' Amm »

Raf wrote:a turbo'd aerotop.... going all F&F!!! :twisted:

yeah i was thinking its going to be intresting to see what the scooby can do against the Tubby. im sure i read a V's post against an Sti but i wasnt sure if it was by Ammon :lol:

i've been against a bug eye'd scoob, dunno which of the 200 versions it was of the imprezza though.

come off a roundabout together and had had more bottle and grip for the cold road than me but as we came off the road goes from 2 lanes into one and he tried to pass but ran out of road before he could, very little in the MR2 and scoob when both are standard but the scoob has an extra 50ilbs of torque over a MR2 turbo.
it was close and if i had more road the scoob would of got ahead eventually i reckon.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”