handbrake cable adjustment/timing belt

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

keithj

handbrake cable adjustment/timing belt

Post by keithj »

firstly, what happened to the 'how to' section or am i missing it?
excuse the ignorance but how do i adjust the handbrake cable?
I have just realised that my timing belt wasn't changed at 60k as recommended (currently on 82k !)is this a big job or is it a job a competent diy'er could do? anyone know roughly how much a garage'll charge?
by the way mr2 mk2 91 auto
BenF
Premium Member

Re: handbrake cable adjustment/timing belt

Post by BenF »

keithj wrote:firstly, what happened to the 'how to' section or am i missing it?

Its gone for the moment, we're looking to rebuild some of those static sections this weekend to put back on the site.

keithj wrote:
excuse the ignorance but how do i adjust the handbrake cable?

you need to remove some of the plastic undertrays under the middle of the car, just under the handbrake mechanism. When you've got them off you'll find the handbrade adjuster - very simple to tighten the handbrake by removing some of the slack.

I have just realised that my timing belt wasn't changed at 60k as recommended (currently on 82k !)is this a big job or is it a job a competent diy'er could do? anyone know roughly how much a garage'll charge?
by the way mr2 mk2 91 auto

Is it a UK car? Jap and UK cars used different engines ..

Either way, timing belt isn't one I'd fancy doing -I'd take it to an independant Toyota specalist, eg. Westfield Motors near Basildon in Essex.

Cost - probably 3-4 hours labour plus £25 for the belt itself.
stevel

Post by stevel »

Regarding the cam belt. I personally wouldn’t attempt it myself in fact I will be taking mine to mr t in the New Year at the cost of £300 for a rev 3 turbo. I believe that’s not a bad price for a tubby & regardless of what people say at least you can get more redress if something goes wrong.
Stu Wilson

Timing belt

Post by Stu Wilson »

I have done cambelt on my turbo----you would need to be a very competant d.i.y.er to tackle this--but you would learn loads about the car at the same time.If you doubt your ability,take it to Mr.T,or try Paul Woods at Haswell,who has probably forgoten more about mr2s than your local Mr.T knows :D
stevel

Post by stevel »

Do you have to have a SST to remove the crank shaft pully?
keithj

Post by keithj »

Thanks for that info, I think I'll get it sorted after the New Year, I'm hoping the question about SST and crank shaft pulley weren't directed at me as it all seems Egyptian and concrete concrete to me.
By the way, it's a gen uk 92 n/a auto, but thanks to Vince Harrison it is now sporting a rear spoiler and eye brow brake light.
stevel

Post by stevel »

keithj wrote:I'm hoping the question about SST and crank shaft pulley weren't directed at me as it all seems Egyptian and concrete concrete to

lol it was for Stu Wilson or anybody else in the know.
Stu Wilson

Post by Stu Wilson »

Steve:----the beloved crank shaft pulley bolt was removed by adding scaffold pole extension to socket extension and eldest son and his mate jumping on it. :D .Before we started I pulled a "how to " from imoc stateside which recommended: "place socket and extension bar on pulley bolt,lower car on jack to wedge on garage floor,turn key in ignition to crank engine" :? .Didnt have the courage!

Return to “Mechanical”