MR2 Turbo

Anything to do with the electrics of the car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

W0mbat

MR2 Turbo

Post by W0mbat »

My car broke down at a garage, after a long run i stopped to put fuel in and then it simply wouldn't start.

RAC said it could be the fuel pump as no fuel was getting in.

A garage who have had the car for 3 weeks said it was the pump, but now say that they think the ECU is screwed as it runs for a bit but then stops...

is this likely?
AM TUNING

Re: MR2 Turbo

Post by AM TUNING »

is possabe but unlikely

check for fault codes

check that the air flow meter flap is not seized becuse that makes then run then stop
mikerj

Re: MR2 Turbo

Post by mikerj »

The fuel pump on my turbo failed whilst it was sat in my driveway for a week whilst I took the engine out. Symptoms were similar, engine would just about run (very roughly) at idle, but any throttle at all would cause it to cut out. I plumbed in a fuel pressure gauage that showed the pump was only delivering about 5 or 6 PSI to the fuel rail.

Changing the pump is a big pain in the ar$e if you don't have a ramp to work on. You have to completely remove the fuel tank which involves dosconnecting numerous hard to reach hoses in the engine bay and then crawling around on the floor. Fortunately my fuel tank didn't have a lot of fuel in it. I ordered an uprated pump from the US as it was cheaper than the Toyota partt (but a bit noisier).

Return to “Electrical”