www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index
 AlbumAlbum CalendarCalendar FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist Legal NoticeLegal Notice IMOC 1/4 Mile1/4 Mile Table Knowledge BaseKnowledge Base   RegisterRegister 
 GarageCommittee GarageGarage  SubscriptionPremium Membership  ProfileProfile   Log in to check private messagesLog in to check private messages   Log inLog in 
Calendar 
Debadging

Post new topic   Reply to topic       www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index -> MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leon.

Feedback Score: 46

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:12 pm    Post subject: Debadging Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

I note that RedMR2 has bebadged his '2. [Rolling Eyes]

I want to remove the text on the boot lid - 'Toyota' and 'GTi...', is it easy to do? Any chance of it f****** up the paintwork?

Ta
gtech
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 29

1995 Toyota MR2 Mk2 Turbo Rev3

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Badges on the rear are bonded on, removed mine with a heat gun on LOW heat and gently heated the badge then slid a piece of card under the lettering and eased it off the paintwork, cleaned the area up with some white spirit then a bit of meguiars scratchX to put a nice even shine over the whole area, could'nt tell badges had been on there [Smile]
Berk Tech IC, Berk Tech Downpipe, Berk Tech Exhaust, ARC Induction System, DevilsOwn Water/Meth Injection (Pre & Post turbo). TRD Cold Pipe, EMS Powered Digital Boost Gauge, TRD Strut Braces, Innovate O2, Blitz SBC i-color EBC - "ARCH ROLLER FOR HIRE"
craig
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 139

1994 Toyota MR2 Mk2 Turbo Rev3

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Hi mate,

I had mine done by the bodyshop when I had the bootlid sprayed etc.

So I'm not sure the badges will come off using a hairdryer or whether they have pins in them. I know the silver Toyota badge is held in with pins.

Danny W has done this mod himself. He may look at this. If not send him a PM.

HTH

Craig [Smile]
craig
Premium Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

gtech wrote:
Badges on the rear are bonded on, removed mine with a heat gun on LOW heat and gently heated the badge then slid a piece of card under the lettering and eased it off the paintwork, cleaned the area up with some white spirit then a bit of meguiars scratchX to put a nice even shine over the whole area, could'nt tell badges had been on there [Smile]

Damn dude, you must have just beat me to the submit button [Laughing]
gtech
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 29

1995 Toyota MR2 Mk2 Turbo Rev3

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

[Smile]
Leon.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

cheers guys

I now have to decide whether I've got the balls to do it!!

[Smile]
craig
Premium Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

You'll be right mate, follow Gtech's guide and you won't go far wrong! [Smile]

Cheers,

Craig
DannyW

Feedback Score: 0

1992 Westfield Sei

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Do it! its easy, took me about an hour from start to finish to do mine. just make sure you warm the glue up well to start with (i used a hairdryer) and have some t-cut or similar at hand to polish it all up with afterwards. oh and i didn't have any cloths handy when i did mine so i rubbed the glue off with my fingers! worked a treat but i got some wicked blisters afterwards!

Cheers!
DannyW
Leon.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Danny, Danny, Danny [Rolling Eyes] !!

How do you know when the glue is warm enough? Do you just keep trying to ease off the badges (lettering)?

[Wink]
DannyW

1992 Westfield Sei

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

thats right mate, keep trying it until its soft enough to lift the corner of the badge up, then push a credit card or similar under it and work it round the edges until the badge comes off. you'll be surprised that you can be quite rough with it and not actually damage the paint.

Have a go mate it's pretty self explanatory when you come to do it.

Cheers!
DannyW
Leon.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Will do matey,

Much appreciated....

Leon
Kieron

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

DannyW wrote:
thats right mate, keep trying it until its soft enough to lift the corner of the badge up, then push a credit card or similar under it and work it round the edges until the badge comes off. you'll be surprised that you can be quite rough with it and not actually damage the paint.

Have a go mate it's pretty self explanatory when you come to do it.

Cheers!
DannyW

EXACTLY how I did mine on both my 2's....
Rory

Feedback Score: 6

1996 Toyota MR2 Mk2 Turbo Rev3

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Do it! My tubby is de-badged front and back and I think it looks well sweet! Check my profile.

Rory
steve b
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5

1997 Mazda Eunos

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

I removed a GT-S badge from my bootlid with a new stanley work knife blade, slid it under the badge and just pushed it across to 5 mins + a clean up. I didn't care if i scratched it as it's being sprayed anyway, as it happened i didn't scratch it.

'97 mk1 Mazda Eunos Turbo track car with 260bhp/ton - soon more as Chris Wilsons going to build me an engine over the winter [Surprised]) .
Leon.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

All done!

Used hairdryer, creditcard, white spirit and wax polish - about an hour

Looks great [Cool]

Cheers [Very Happy]
Sidewinder

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Rory wrote:
Do it! My tubby is de-badged front and back and I think it looks well sweet! Check my profile.

Rory

What did you use to patch over the holes when you took the front badge off?
Rory

Feedback Score: 6

1996 Toyota MR2 Mk2 Turbo Rev3

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

[quote=What did you use to patch over the holes when you took the front badge off?[/quote]

My tubby had been de-badged before I got it. Im sure it wont cost you much to have the small holes on the front filled and sprayed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index -> MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: