MK2s--- Want to race in the MR2 challenge in 2006

Posts about trackdays and motorsport.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Lauren
IMOC Committee

MK2s--- Want to race in the MR2 challenge in 2006

Post by Lauren »

Just got this from Steve (MR2 Challenge head honcho):
we are evaluating possible changes to the series for 2006 including having a class for mk2's we currently have only one mk2 in this years series running as an invitation and i am sure he would like some company -------if there is enough interest we could look to have an actual class for mk2's in 2006 if there is demand there so if any one has an interest please express it now--steve

More detailage here:
http://www.mr2racing.com/
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
Rogue

Re: MK2s--- Want to race in the MR2 challenge in 2006

Post by Rogue »

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD - SOMEONE PLEASE ENTER ANOTHER MK2!!

All going well we'll be fielding a second car for the upcoming double header at Cadwell Park next month, so there'll be two of us at least.

\:D/

Rogue
jonno

Post by jonno »

ok - where do i sign? :twisted:
Forever Feels Like Home, Sitting All Alone Inside Your Head...
Pete

Post by Pete »

Are they going to allow tubby's? Or just for Na's?
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Pete wrote:Are they going to allow tubby's? Or just for Na's?

Just NAs at the mo' unless PAtrick knows otherwise.

You don't want the expense of running a tubby.
DaMonsta

Post by DaMonsta »

Ha ha ha, entering an MR2 is old hat, surely. No one would do it as you have to keep it largely stock, so no "turbo" advantage in a straight line... you'd have to actually learn to drive it in a race situation against other cars on a track around corners... GOSH!!! You'd have to fit a roll-cage and that would entail an expense that didn't involve turning up the boost, lol. And there would be no lines of schoolgirls coming out at 3.30pm to hear the "blowoff valve". Ha ha ha ha...

Regards,
Jim
jonno

Post by jonno »

DaMonsta wrote:Ha ha ha, entering an MR2 is old hat, surely. No one would do it as you have to keep it largely stock, so no "turbo" advantage in a straight line... you'd have to actually learn to drive it in a race situation against other cars on a track around corners... GOSH!!! You'd have to fit a roll-cage and that would entail an expense that didn't involve turning up the boost, lol. And there would be no lines of schoolgirls coming out at 3.30pm to hear the "blowoff valve". Ha ha ha ha...

Regards,
Jim

Hmmmm.....
Forever Feels Like Home, Sitting All Alone Inside Your Head...
Pete

Post by Pete »

DaMonsta wrote:Ha ha ha, entering an MR2 is old hat, surely. No one would do it as you have to keep it largely stock, so no "turbo" advantage in a straight line... you'd have to actually learn to drive it in a race situation against other cars on a track around corners... GOSH!!! You'd have to fit a roll-cage and that would entail an expense that didn't involve turning up the boost, lol. And there would be no lines of schoolgirls coming out at 3.30pm to hear the "blowoff valve". Ha ha ha ha...

Regards,
Jim

Sorry? :?

For your info my tubby has standard boost. Standard re-circ. Totally Stripped. Roll cage fitted.

Do you have a point?
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Regards,
Jim

GLOL!! I see where you are coming from. ;)
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Pete wrote:

Regards,
Jim

For your info my tubby has standard boost. Standard re-circ. Totally Stripped. Roll cage fitted.

Do you have a point?

I think he's saying that a lot of tubby owners use their cars for other things IYSWIM. ;)

Not all though of course.
aaronjb

Post by aaronjb »

But surely a tubby would go straight on at the first bend and crash - as we all know they can't handle as well as NAs.... :roll: :-#
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

aaronjb wrote:But surely a tubby would go straight on at the first bend and crash - as we all know they can't handle as well as NAs.... :roll: :-#

I think the main problem is that a tubby would be more expensive to run and if you start modding it, then the costs quickly escalate.

When it comes to motorsport it you have to consider the costs involved and though a tubby may be quicker it may not be that much more fun for the extra cost IYSWIM.
JohnA

Post by JohnA »

VERY interested in doing this and trying to get my brother on board too! A MK2 seems like a good idea as there are so many available in good condition. I'll look in to costs and get back.
Rikki

Post by Rikki »

Lauren wrote:
Pete wrote:

Regards,
Jim

Do you have a point?

I think he's saying that a lot of tubby owners use their cars for other things IYSWIM. ;)

Not all though of course.

If I wanted to impress 16 year old schoolgirls I'd buy a Corsa with a big bore exhaust, set of 17's and install half the local night clubs PA system in the boot. That'd get them wet fo sho'

R.
cantfindausername

Post by cantfindausername »

Rikki wrote:

If I wanted to impress 16 year old schoolgirls I'd buy a Corsa with a big bore exhaust, set of 17's and install half the local night clubs PA system in the boot. That'd get them wet fo sho'

R.

FPMSL... good call Rikki!!!
***RIP Car13 ***
*** Now in an Evo ***
Bender Unit

Post by Bender Unit »

Cant see why a turbo would cost more to run than a NA?!?!

The only reason I can see turbos not being allowed is that they will waste the mk1 and mk2 NA competition - as lets face it if the car is taking part in a racing series the driver will hopefully hve an idea how to drive the thing.

Also 3k to take part in a racing series - not cheap!
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

Bender Unit wrote:Cant see why a turbo would cost more to run than a NA?!?!

It would if the engine went bang...

Bender Unit wrote:The only reason I can see turbos not being allowed is that they will waste the mk1 and mk2 NA competition - as lets face it if the car is taking part in a racing series the driver will hopefully hve an idea how to drive the thing.

Yes, it's not only to leave a more even playing field - the mk2 na's currently have the edge over the mk1s as it is - but also to try and keep the series cheap. Turbo cars would be extremely difficult to regulate and forging the internals and upping the boost would offer huge advantages to those who could afford it.

Bender Unit wrote:Also 3k to take part in a racing series - not cheap!

There's nothing cheap about motorsport. It's either expensive or very expensive. We're at the less expensive end. O:)

Rogue
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

Lauren wrote:
When it comes to motorsport it you have to consider the costs involved and though a tubby may be quicker it may not be that much more fun for the extra cost IYSWIM.

A bit of a tangent - for non competitive trackdays, I found my Mk1 NA to be 95% as much fun as my old Mk2 Turbo around circuits like Anglesea - I drove Si Cook's NA around Anglesey back to back with my turbo, and it was this that really surprised me.

The only thing I miss in the NA isn't the extra power/torque, but the LSD as I can't slide the car around quite so easily with an open (standard) diff. Given that its a lot cheaper on consumables (tyres etc) its the much better choice to run on a trackday if you can afford it.

The Ultimate trackday car would be the Roadster - hugely progressive and very very nicely controlled in slides with good feedback - but I'm saving it from track use and using my Mk1 where possible.
Speedy

Post by Speedy »

The only thing I miss in the NA isn't the extra power/torque, but the LSD as I can't slide the car around quite so easily with an open (standard) diff. Given that its a lot cheaper on consumables (tyres etc) its the much better choice to run on a trackday if you can afford it.

You need a SC then :twisted:
tonigmr2 wrote:Fear me, for I am watching :clown:
leewaring

Post by leewaring »

Bender Unit wrote:The only reason I can see turbos not being allowed is that they will waste the mk1 and mk2 NA competition

They would be in a different class mate so no problem there. You ever watched the JGTC? Works well as the slower cars make the faster classes bunch when lapping and provide more overtaking oppertunities.

Bender Unit wrote:as lets face it if the car is taking part in a racing series the driver will hopefully hve an idea how to drive the thing.

The seriese is open to anyone who can get the car and prep it. You dont have to have any experience really. Its so people who want some race action can afford to do so because its a hell of a lot cheeper then other competative motorsports.

Also the handling between an n/a and a Tubby are basically the same so if they did a back to back lap of say anglsea I dont think there would be much difference in times. I would expect maybe a second or two. I'd put this down to no turbo lag and continual power without having the 'boost' kicking in. Ofcourse this is what I would expect. Would be interested in maybe a test of this theory!

Return to “Motorsport and Trackdays”