Mk1 heater blower upgrade needed

Anything to do with the electrics of the car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

dex

Mk1 heater blower upgrade needed

Post by dex »

Does anyone know of an upgrade to the rather pathetic heater blower on the Mk1? The output is poor (my previous Mk1 was the same) and thanks to leaky T-bar seals I'm treated to lots of condensation after wet weather and the standard fan takes ages to clear it. Any ideas?

Thanks.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Re: Mk1 heater blower upgrade needed

Post by Lauren »

In what way is it bad?

Its just that i've always found MK1s to blow out plenty of heat where needed and with 4 speeds there is a decent amount of airflow.

I honestly think your best bet would be to stop the leaking from the t-bar seals as this will be your major cause of the screen misting up.
Tony jinxy froude

Post by Tony jinxy froude »

Dex,
my mk1 T-Bar heater is spitting flames mate its really hot, much better than my last mk1 which i reckon had a stuffed up heater matrix, if yours is only running cool like mine was i would suggest you either flush it out or look at changing the heater matrix for one that you know works well and has a clear flow, but be warned its NOT a nice job changing the matrix but you will benefit in the end especially on freezing cold mornings, within half an hour i have to open the window as its so hot :D , cheers, Jinxy
dex

Post by dex »

The problem is that not much air flows. I agree with about needing to fix the t-bar seals but I haven't managed to track down exactly where the leak is and don't fancy spending 'x' hundred pounds on new seals until I know for sure it is them. The leak is made harder to find because when it's raining some times there is no leak, other times its leaks enough to saturate seats, carpet and me if I'm sat in the car!
Tony jinxy froude

Post by Tony jinxy froude »

You should be able to see the heater motor behind the glove box, if you take the glove box out you can see if its working properly, pi** easy to get to as well, if your t-bar seals are leaking and you cant afford to buy new ones try threading electrical wire through the seals, this pads them out enough to make better contact with the glass, worth a go imo, cheers, Jinxy
Jon Bradley

Post by Jon Bradley »

Maybe you have air in your heater rad. Try bleeding the cooling system. Improtant to remember to put the heater control on full heat when bleeding it.

Return to “Electrical”